Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Error "System error 5 has occurred" trying to set the system time using NET TIME on XP

Windows Server Help

Old 29-05-2009
Spin

Error "System error 5 has occurred" trying to set the system time using NET TIME on XP

Gurus,

I am NOT an administrator of my Windows XP SP3 workstation. BUT I do have
rights to change the system time. I am able to set the time on the machine
causing the Control Panel Date/Time applet. But if I try to set it using
the command line, I get an error. Any ideas why?

C:\>net time \\dim8300 /set /y
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Old 29-05-2009
Richard Mueller [MVP]

I suspect the problem is you lack permissions on the remote computer. Do you
get the same error with:

net time \\dim8300

You need local admin rights on that machine. Spin, are you a domain admin? If so, does your domain admin account work?
Old 10-09-2009

Re: Error "System error 5 has occurred" trying to set the system time using NET TIME on XP

My case is similar but:

when I put on Windows XP computer commmad:

net time \\another_comp /set /yes

it works.

But, if I put the same command over 'at' command:

at 10:45 /INTERACTIVE cmd /k "net time \\another_comp /set /yes"

when the execution starts, it says:
System error 5 has occured
Access id Denied

I both cases I put command as a user with administrator privileges.
Any suggestions?
Old 01-11-2009

Re: Error "System error 5 has occurred" trying to set the system time using NET TIME on XP

«at» runs commands under «NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM» account (until you change this behavior). You have to use

at 10:45 /INTERACTIVE cmd /k "net time \\another_comp /set /yes /user:<username> <password>"

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , , , ,