Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Renew self-signed certificate

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 30-03-2009
John
 
Posts: n/a
Renew self-signed certificate

Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with certificates. An
outside vendor set this up to allow mobile devices to get mail.

The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President can't get his
mail on his mobile device.

Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the certificate?
Or point me to step by step instructions on how to renew the certificate.

Thanks in advance,
John

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-03-2009
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Renew self-signed certificate

John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with certificates.
> An outside vendor set this up to allow mobile devices to get mail.
>
> The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President can't
> get his mail on his mobile device.
>
> Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the
> certificate? Or point me to step by step instructions on how to renew
> the certificate.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John


What are you using? Versions & SP levels of everything, please, including
mail/handheld.

I would not use a self-signed cert - I'd get a cheapo GoDaddy cert. Self
signed is a huge PITA and you'd have to manually export & install it on a WM
device.


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30-03-2009
John
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Renew self-signed certificate

Windows 2003 Server SP2
Exchange 2003 SP2
Not sure of the version of the handheld, but fairly confident it is 5.

Thanks for the suggestion and I probably will do so when we upgrade to
Exchange 2007 in the near future. But for now I have to get the big
kahoona's pda syncing again.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with certificates.
> > An outside vendor set this up to allow mobile devices to get mail.
> >
> > The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President can't
> > get his mail on his mobile device.
> >
> > Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the
> > certificate? Or point me to step by step instructions on how to renew
> > the certificate.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > John

>
> What are you using? Versions & SP levels of everything, please, including
> mail/handheld.
>
> I would not use a self-signed cert - I'd get a cheapo GoDaddy cert. Self
> signed is a huge PITA and you'd have to manually export & install it on a WM
> device.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31-03-2009
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Renew self-signed certificate

John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Windows 2003 Server SP2
> Exchange 2003 SP2
> Not sure of the version of the handheld, but fairly confident it is 5.


OK. I haven't had to do this for a while (most of the clients I have with
self-signed certs run Small Business Server), but you'll need to do this in
IIS & certificate services. I'm not sure if this link will help but it
might -
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver...ing_up_ssl.htm
You can also google.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion and I probably will do so when we upgrade to
> Exchange 2007 in the near future. But for now I have to get the big
> kahoona's pda syncing again.


He'll have to bring it in and let you use it for a while. This is a PITA. I
would just get the GoDaddy or other public cert.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with certificates.
>>> An outside vendor set this up to allow mobile devices to get mail.
>>>
>>> The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President can't
>>> get his mail on his mobile device.
>>>
>>> Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the
>>> certificate? Or point me to step by step instructions on how to
>>> renew the certificate.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> John

>>
>> What are you using? Versions & SP levels of everything, please,
>> including mail/handheld.
>>
>> I would not use a self-signed cert - I'd get a cheapo GoDaddy cert.
>> Self signed is a huge PITA and you'd have to manually export &
>> install it on a WM device.




Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 31-03-2009
John
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Renew self-signed certificate

Is there not a way to renew, or extend the expiration date instead of
creating a new certificate?

Will these steps fork for a mobile phone accessing Exchange email, and not
web pages?

Thanks again for directing me to such detailed instructions. With little to
now experience and needing this done ASAP for the Prez, I really appreciate
it.

John

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Windows 2003 Server SP2
> > Exchange 2003 SP2
> > Not sure of the version of the handheld, but fairly confident it is 5.

>
> OK. I haven't had to do this for a while (most of the clients I have with
> self-signed certs run Small Business Server), but you'll need to do this in
> IIS & certificate services. I'm not sure if this link will help but it
> might -
> http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver...ing_up_ssl.htm
> You can also google.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion and I probably will do so when we upgrade to
> > Exchange 2007 in the near future. But for now I have to get the big
> > kahoona's pda syncing again.

>
> He'll have to bring it in and let you use it for a while. This is a PITA. I
> would just get the GoDaddy or other public cert.
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
> >
> >> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >>> Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with certificates.
> >>> An outside vendor set this up to allow mobile devices to get mail.
> >>>
> >>> The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President can't
> >>> get his mail on his mobile device.
> >>>
> >>> Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the
> >>> certificate? Or point me to step by step instructions on how to
> >>> renew the certificate.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks in advance,
> >>> John
> >>
> >> What are you using? Versions & SP levels of everything, please,
> >> including mail/handheld.
> >>
> >> I would not use a self-signed cert - I'd get a cheapo GoDaddy cert.
> >> Self signed is a huge PITA and you'd have to manually export &
> >> install it on a WM device.

>
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2009
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Renew self-signed certificate

John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Is there not a way to renew, or extend the expiration date instead of
> creating a new certificate?


Nope, not that I know of.
>
> Will these steps fork for a mobile phone accessing Exchange email,
> and not web pages?


It's for both. WM using Exchange ActiveSync is connecting via IIS.

>
> Thanks again for directing me to such detailed instructions. With
> little to now experience and needing this done ASAP for the Prez, I
> really appreciate it.


NP. But seriously - buy a public cert and install it. Get one that will last
3 to 5 yrs so you don't have to worry about this again. Whether you're an
hourly or salaried tech there this will cost less money / time in the long
run.
>
> John
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Windows 2003 Server SP2
>>> Exchange 2003 SP2
>>> Not sure of the version of the handheld, but fairly confident it is
>>> 5.

>>
>> OK. I haven't had to do this for a while (most of the clients I have
>> with self-signed certs run Small Business Server), but you'll need
>> to do this in IIS & certificate services. I'm not sure if this link
>> will help but it might -
>> http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver...ing_up_ssl.htm
>> You can also google.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion and I probably will do so when we upgrade
>>> to Exchange 2007 in the near future. But for now I have to get the
>>> big kahoona's pda syncing again.

>>
>> He'll have to bring it in and let you use it for a while. This is a
>> PITA. I would just get the GoDaddy or other public cert.
>>>
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>>>
>>>> John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>>> Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with
>>>>> certificates. An outside vendor set this up to allow mobile
>>>>> devices to get mail.
>>>>>
>>>>> The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President
>>>>> can't get his mail on his mobile device.
>>>>>
>>>>> Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the
>>>>> certificate? Or point me to step by step instructions on how to
>>>>> renew the certificate.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>>> John
>>>>
>>>> What are you using? Versions & SP levels of everything, please,
>>>> including mail/handheld.
>>>>
>>>> I would not use a self-signed cert - I'd get a cheapo GoDaddy cert.
>>>> Self signed is a huge PITA and you'd have to manually export &
>>>> install it on a WM device.





Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2009
John
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Renew self-signed certificate

Following the instructions in your previous post worked.

Thanks again for the prompt and detailed response.

John

"John" wrote:

> Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with certificates. An
> outside vendor set this up to allow mobile devices to get mail.
>
> The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President can't get his
> mail on his mobile device.
>
> Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the certificate?
> Or point me to step by step instructions on how to renew the certificate.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2009
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Renew self-signed certificate

John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Following the instructions in your previous post worked.
>
> Thanks again for the prompt and detailed response.
>
> John


Most welcome.

>
> "John" wrote:
>
>> Let me start off by saying I not at all familiar with certificates.
>> An outside vendor set this up to allow mobile devices to get mail.
>>
>> The certificate expired over the weekend and now the President can't
>> get his mail on his mobile device.
>>
>> Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to renew the
>> certificate? Or point me to step by step instructions on how to
>> renew the certificate.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> John




Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Renew self-signed certificate"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safari shows “Certificate signed by unknown authority" message when logging in Facebook DevenderD Technology & Internet 4 16-06-2011 10:49 PM
How to create self-signed SSL certificate? Inigo Tips & Tweaks 4 09-05-2011 06:15 PM
Is it possible to make iOS 4.2.1 trust the self-signed certificate used by the the mail ? Terawa Portable Devices 3 11-02-2011 07:06 AM
SBS 2008 removing self Signed SSL Certificate Dharuna Small Business Server 4 15-06-2010 02:25 AM
How to renew certificate in Windows Vista ADJATAY Operating Systems 8 20-03-2010 09:42 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:47 AM.