Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

  1. #1
    Jonas_Bson Guest

    Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    Hi,

    We are currently in the process of migrating from an old fileshare to a new
    fileshare. The new fileshare is setup on a Windows 2008 file cluster.

    The problem is that we need to re-use our old dns-name for our fileserver
    but when we do that we cant see the shares. We register the cname in our dns
    to the new fileshare IP, but when we browse it it is empty.

    if we browse \\newfileshare we se the share.
    If we browse \\ip-adress-of-new-file-share we dont see the share.
    If we browse \\olddnsname we dont see the share.

    I'm guessing this has something to do with the new fileshare scoping
    functionality of windows server 2008 and I'm woundering if anyone know of any
    workaround for this "feature".

    /Joans

  2. #2
    Edwin vMierlo [MVP] Guest

    Re: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping


    "Jonas_Bson" <JonasBson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:52F48B77-3ADE-4CE0-93F6-D1B47FECAD82@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > We are currently in the process of migrating from an old fileshare to a

    new
    > fileshare. The new fileshare is setup on a Windows 2008 file cluster.
    >
    > The problem is that we need to re-use our old dns-name for our fileserver
    > but when we do that we cant see the shares. We register the cname in our

    dns
    > to the new fileshare IP, but when we browse it it is empty.
    >
    > if we browse \\newfileshare we se the share.
    > If we browse \\ip-adress-of-new-file-share we dont see the share.
    > If we browse \\olddnsname we dont see the share.
    >
    > I'm guessing this has something to do with the new fileshare scoping
    > functionality of windows server 2008 and I'm woundering if anyone know of

    any
    > workaround for this "feature".
    >


    correct this is the new fileshare scoping to the actual name withing the
    clustered Fileserver application.

    why not use the "olddnsname" as the name inside your clustered fileserver
    application ?




  3. #3
    Jonas_Bson Guest

    Re: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    We have a couple of reasons why not to use it.

    1. We need a new name-standard and this is a great time to form one
    2. If we could use a DNS-alias the migration process is much easier, then we
    can setup everything in advance and turn of our old fileserver, change the
    DNS-alias and it works again.

    Is there noway we can come around this mechanism in FSC 2008?

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:

    >
    > "Jonas_Bson" <JonasBson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:52F48B77-3ADE-4CE0-93F6-D1B47FECAD82@microsoft.com...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We are currently in the process of migrating from an old fileshare to a

    > new
    > > fileshare. The new fileshare is setup on a Windows 2008 file cluster.
    > >
    > > The problem is that we need to re-use our old dns-name for our fileserver
    > > but when we do that we cant see the shares. We register the cname in our

    > dns
    > > to the new fileshare IP, but when we browse it it is empty.
    > >
    > > if we browse \\newfileshare we se the share.
    > > If we browse \\ip-adress-of-new-file-share we dont see the share.
    > > If we browse \\olddnsname we dont see the share.
    > >
    > > I'm guessing this has something to do with the new fileshare scoping
    > > functionality of windows server 2008 and I'm woundering if anyone know of

    > any
    > > workaround for this "feature".
    > >

    >
    > correct this is the new fileshare scoping to the actual name withing the
    > clustered Fileserver application.
    >
    > why not use the "olddnsname" as the name inside your clustered fileserver
    > application ?
    >
    >
    >
    >


  4. #4
    Doug Guest

    Re: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    Running into the same issue. Any ideas?

    "Jonas_Bson" wrote:

    > We have a couple of reasons why not to use it.
    >
    > 1. We need a new name-standard and this is a great time to form one
    > 2. If we could use a DNS-alias the migration process is much easier, then we
    > can setup everything in advance and turn of our old fileserver, change the
    > DNS-alias and it works again.
    >
    > Is there noway we can come around this mechanism in FSC 2008?
    >
    > "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > "Jonas_Bson" <JonasBson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:52F48B77-3ADE-4CE0-93F6-D1B47FECAD82@microsoft.com...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > We are currently in the process of migrating from an old fileshare to a

    > > new
    > > > fileshare. The new fileshare is setup on a Windows 2008 file cluster.
    > > >
    > > > The problem is that we need to re-use our old dns-name for our fileserver
    > > > but when we do that we cant see the shares. We register the cname in our

    > > dns
    > > > to the new fileshare IP, but when we browse it it is empty.
    > > >
    > > > if we browse \\newfileshare we se the share.
    > > > If we browse \\ip-adress-of-new-file-share we dont see the share.
    > > > If we browse \\olddnsname we dont see the share.
    > > >
    > > > I'm guessing this has something to do with the new fileshare scoping
    > > > functionality of windows server 2008 and I'm woundering if anyone know of

    > > any
    > > > workaround for this "feature".
    > > >

    > >
    > > correct this is the new fileshare scoping to the actual name withing the
    > > clustered Fileserver application.
    > >
    > > why not use the "olddnsname" as the name inside your clustered fileserver
    > > application ?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >


  5. #5
    Russ Kaufmann Guest

    Re: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:E3E25495-60C2-4A25-9DA3-83F0CF3E8147@microsoft.com...
    > Running into the same issue. Any ideas?
    >
    > "Jonas_Bson" wrote:
    >
    >> We have a couple of reasons why not to use it.
    >>
    >> 1. We need a new name-standard and this is a great time to form one
    >> 2. If we could use a DNS-alias the migration process is much easier, then
    >> we
    >> can setup everything in advance and turn of our old fileserver, change
    >> the
    >> DNS-alias and it works again.
    >>
    >> Is there noway we can come around this mechanism in FSC 2008?


    If you are looking to re-use or continue to use the same fileserver name,
    then the easiest way for a workaround is to use a DFS name to point to the
    new failover cluster fileserver name.

    --
    Russ Kaufmann,
    MVP, MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff

    ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
    Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
    Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp


  6. #6
    Doug Guest

    Re: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    Not just the fileserver name - I'd like to keep the entire UNC path for all
    of the shares working.

    Using DFS would introduce the DFS root name after the server name for all
    shares and would still require a change in behavior on the part of
    applications and people.

    So, now they connect with \\fileserver\blah$.

    Using DFS, they'd have to connect with \\fileserver\dfsroot\blah$.

    "Russ Kaufmann" wrote:

    > "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:E3E25495-60C2-4A25-9DA3-83F0CF3E8147@microsoft.com...
    > > Running into the same issue. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > "Jonas_Bson" wrote:
    > >
    > >> We have a couple of reasons why not to use it.
    > >>
    > >> 1. We need a new name-standard and this is a great time to form one
    > >> 2. If we could use a DNS-alias the migration process is much easier, then
    > >> we
    > >> can setup everything in advance and turn of our old fileserver, change
    > >> the
    > >> DNS-alias and it works again.
    > >>
    > >> Is there noway we can come around this mechanism in FSC 2008?

    >
    > If you are looking to re-use or continue to use the same fileserver name,
    > then the easiest way for a workaround is to use a DFS name to point to the
    > new failover cluster fileserver name.
    >
    > --
    > Russ Kaufmann,
    > MVP, MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff
    >
    > ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
    > Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
    > Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp
    >


  7. #7
    Russ Kaufmann Guest

    Re: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:84DCF89B-8ACF-4F4F-A6D8-8CBA37085165@microsoft.com...
    > Not just the fileserver name - I'd like to keep the entire UNC path for
    > all
    > of the shares working.
    >
    > Using DFS would introduce the DFS root name after the server name for all
    > shares and would still require a change in behavior on the part of
    > applications and people.
    >
    > So, now they connect with \\fileserver\blah$.
    >
    > Using DFS, they'd have to connect with \\fileserver\dfsroot\blah$.


    Maybe I am losing my mind, but whenever I have used DFS, the root is the
    name used, so your DFS root would be named fileserver and then you would
    connect using \\fileserver\blah$

    --
    Russ Kaufmann,
    MVP, MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff

    ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
    Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
    Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp


  8. #8
    Doug Guest

    RE: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    Ok, I've almost got an acceptable work-around going.

    I've created additional Client Access Points with names that would have been
    just CNAMEs in DNS. Then I create duplicate shares under each name.

    Adding the share through Failover Cluster Management GUI lets you pick the
    name you want.

    However, when I add a share through the explorer GUI or "net use" there is
    no way to specify which CAP/network name resource I want to add the share to
    (that I can see). It just picks one and I haven't been able to determine how
    (doesn't appear to be alphabetical order, order of the name brought online or
    the order of the file server resource brought online). I need a way to script
    share creation.


    Using the VB script:
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    Dim objServices, objShare

    Set objServices =
    GetObject("WINMGMTS:{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Security)}!" &
    "\\servername" & "\ROOT\CIMV2")


    Set objShare = objServices.Get("Win32_Share")

    iRC = objShare.Create ( "P:\test", "sharename", 0, 25)
    WScript.echo "Return code: " & iRC
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

    Produces the same results. No matter what name I put in for "\\servername"
    in the GetObject call, it picks one particular network name to share it under.

    Ideas?


    "Jonas_Bson" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are currently in the process of migrating from an old fileshare to a new
    > fileshare. The new fileshare is setup on a Windows 2008 file cluster.
    >
    > The problem is that we need to re-use our old dns-name for our fileserver
    > but when we do that we cant see the shares. We register the cname in our dns
    > to the new fileshare IP, but when we browse it it is empty.
    >
    > if we browse \\newfileshare we se the share.
    > If we browse \\ip-adress-of-new-file-share we dont see the share.
    > If we browse \\olddnsname we dont see the share.
    >
    > I'm guessing this has something to do with the new fileshare scoping
    > functionality of windows server 2008 and I'm woundering if anyone know of any
    > workaround for this "feature".
    >
    > /Joans


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: Windows 2008 File Cluster - file share scoping

    I Don't know if this is the proper way of doing it or not but it worked for me, the DisableStrictNameChecking didn't work so I created an additional client access point using the alias name with a new IP (no need to alias it in DNS) in the same resource pool that I wanted to alias, then I recreated the shares and they auomatically had the new aliased access point path and voila, took all of 5 minutes.

Similar Threads

  1. file share witness problem in windows 2008 cluster
    By sunb3 in forum Operating Systems
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 12:55 PM
  2. Cannot share file from Windows 7 machine
    By INDRASENA in forum Networking & Security
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-01-2011, 09:16 PM
  3. User cannot access file on file server Windows 2008
    By Wahab4 in forum Windows Server Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-12-2010, 04:56 PM
  4. Windows 2008 cluster for SQL server 2005 cluster
    By Roger in forum Windows Server Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-05-2008, 10:16 AM
  5. cluster file share resource failed in Windows 2003
    By Johnny Flo in forum Windows Server Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 04:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •