Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failover he

Windows Server Help


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 13-07-2008
Mr555
 
Posts: n/a
Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failover he

Hello

Some of you clustering expert may be able to answer my questions. we have a
windows 2003 Standard edition enabled IIS6 as a web server. Current running
for support our custom build online ordering application which connected to a
SQL server

We have been told this ordering system will get heavily use from next year
onward, we need to come up a solution. First come to our mind is NLB for the
web server. Our thinking is to have 2 web server running NLB. Connect to a
single SQL database.
But we also require fault tolerant capability. If 1 server die the other
server will takes over the role. My question is can we have this protect
features enable using windows 2003 Standard edition or we are require to
have windows 2003 Enterprise edition to be able to work ?

Has anyone done the above setup? I am still learning in this area. Any
suggestion will be really appreciate it,
Thanks


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13-07-2008
Russ Kaufmann
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failover he

"Mr555" <Mr555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4ABAA2F9-19FF-4F1C-A6F7-969D75ABEDAB@microsoft.com...
> Hello
>
> Some of you clustering expert may be able to answer my questions. we have
> a
> windows 2003 Standard edition enabled IIS6 as a web server. Current
> running
> for support our custom build online ordering application which connected
> to a
> SQL server
>
> We have been told this ordering system will get heavily use from next year
> onward, we need to come up a solution. First come to our mind is NLB for
> the
> web server. Our thinking is to have 2 web server running NLB. Connect to a
> single SQL database.
> But we also require fault tolerant capability. If 1 server die the other
> server will takes over the role. My question is can we have this protect
> features enable using windows 2003 Standard edition or we are require to
> have windows 2003 Enterprise edition to be able to work ?


NLB will meet your needs for IIS, scaling out, and high availability.

--
Russ Kaufmann,
MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff

ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp

The next ClusterHelp classes are:
July 28-31 in Pittsburgh
Oct 13-16 in New York

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13-07-2008
Mr555
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failove

Hello Russ

Thank you for your answer to my questions. Is it only Windows 2003
Enterprise Edition can support failover is this correct ? Standard only
support NLB to share the load.

Can you run NLB cluster to support IIS and have failover capibility ?

Thank you

"Russ Kaufmann" wrote:

> "Mr555" <Mr555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4ABAA2F9-19FF-4F1C-A6F7-969D75ABEDAB@microsoft.com...
> > Hello
> >
> > Some of you clustering expert may be able to answer my questions. we have
> > a
> > windows 2003 Standard edition enabled IIS6 as a web server. Current
> > running
> > for support our custom build online ordering application which connected
> > to a
> > SQL server
> >
> > We have been told this ordering system will get heavily use from next year
> > onward, we need to come up a solution. First come to our mind is NLB for
> > the
> > web server. Our thinking is to have 2 web server running NLB. Connect to a
> > single SQL database.
> > But we also require fault tolerant capability. If 1 server die the other
> > server will takes over the role. My question is can we have this protect
> > features enable using windows 2003 Standard edition or we are require to
> > have windows 2003 Enterprise edition to be able to work ?

>
> NLB will meet your needs for IIS, scaling out, and high availability.
>
> --
> Russ Kaufmann,
> MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff
>
> ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
> Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
> Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp
>
> The next ClusterHelp classes are:
> July 28-31 in Pittsburgh
> Oct 13-16 in New York
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-07-2008
Russ Kaufmann
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failove

"Mr555" <Mr555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B6B2D545-CE4B-4480-9571-239D31FE6602@microsoft.com...
> Hello Russ
>
> Thank you for your answer to my questions. Is it only Windows 2003
> Enterprise Edition can support failover is this correct ? Standard only
> support NLB to share the load.


Sorry, but I don't think I understand your question. Are you asking if
Server Clustering is only supported for Enterprise? If so, then the answer
is no. Datacenter also supports server clustering.

As to NLB, every single version of WIndows Server 2003 supports NLB.

> Can you run NLB cluster to support IIS and have failover capibility ?


What do you mean by "failover capability" in your question? If you mean, can
an NLB cluster have a failure and other nodes take over its load, then the
answer is yes.

You really should read the NLB FAQ here:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true


--
Russ Kaufmann,
MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff

ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp

The next ClusterHelp classes are:
July 28-31 in Pittsburgh
Oct 13-16 in New York



Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15-07-2008
Mr555
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failove

Hi Russ

Thank you so much for help

The reason I asked windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise edition is because i
was thinking only windows 2003 Enterprise edition can support NLB load
balancing and Servere clustering at the same time. But with Windwows 2003
Standard only support NLB

Thank you for the link



"Russ Kaufmann" wrote:

> "Mr555" <Mr555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B6B2D545-CE4B-4480-9571-239D31FE6602@microsoft.com...
> > Hello Russ
> >
> > Thank you for your answer to my questions. Is it only Windows 2003
> > Enterprise Edition can support failover is this correct ? Standard only
> > support NLB to share the load.

>
> Sorry, but I don't think I understand your question. Are you asking if
> Server Clustering is only supported for Enterprise? If so, then the answer
> is no. Datacenter also supports server clustering.
>
> As to NLB, every single version of WIndows Server 2003 supports NLB.
>
> > Can you run NLB cluster to support IIS and have failover capibility ?

>
> What do you mean by "failover capability" in your question? If you mean, can
> an NLB cluster have a failure and other nodes take over its load, then the
> answer is yes.
>
> You really should read the NLB FAQ here:
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
>
>
> --
> Russ Kaufmann,
> MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff
>
> ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
> Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
> Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp
>
> The next ClusterHelp classes are:
> July 28-31 in Pittsburgh
> Oct 13-16 in New York
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15-07-2008
Russ Kaufmann
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failove

"Mr555" <Mr555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:ADB825BD-2961-43AE-B1F4-1F03F1B5BE74@microsoft.com...
> Hi Russ
>
> Thank you so much for help
>
> The reason I asked windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise edition is because
> i
> was thinking only windows 2003 Enterprise edition can support NLB load
> balancing and Servere clustering at the same time. But with Windwows 2003
> Standard only support NLB


Server clustering and NLB can not be run on the same nodes.


--
Russ Kaufmann,
MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff

ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp

The next ClusterHelp classes are:
July 28-31 in Pittsburgh
Oct 13-16 in New York

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16-07-2008
Mr555
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failove

Thank you

"Russ Kaufmann" wrote:

> "Mr555" <Mr555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:ADB825BD-2961-43AE-B1F4-1F03F1B5BE74@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Russ
> >
> > Thank you so much for help
> >
> > The reason I asked windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise edition is because
> > i
> > was thinking only windows 2003 Enterprise edition can support NLB load
> > balancing and Servere clustering at the same time. But with Windwows 2003
> > Standard only support NLB

>
> Server clustering and NLB can not be run on the same nodes.
>
>
> --
> Russ Kaufmann,
> MCSE: Messaging and Security, MCT, MCITP, MCTS and other stuff
>
> ClusterHelp.com, a Microsoft Certified Gold Partner
> Web http://www.clusterhelp.com
> Blog http://msmvps.com/clusterhelp
>
> The next ClusterHelp classes are:
> July 28-31 in Pittsburgh
> Oct 13-16 in New York
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Windows Server Help
Tags: , , , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows 2003 Standard or Enterprise to support NLB and failover he"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade existing Windows Server 2003 Standard to Windows Server2008 Enterprise David Wilkerson Windows Server Help 2 21-03-2009 10:20 AM
Upgrade Windows 2003 R2 Standard to Enterprise Edition bjude Active Directory 3 21-05-2008 10:52 AM
Migration 2003 Standard 32 bit to 2003 Enterprise 64 bit Nicola Windows Server Help 2 26-02-2008 06:59 PM
Upgrade 2003 Standard SP1 to 2003 Enterprise ssbb Windows Server Help 2 19-03-2007 08:24 AM
Windows 2003 enterprise vs Windows 2003 standard KaSaRa Window 2000 Help 1 28-11-2004 12:02 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:18 PM.