Thread: How to prevent users from deleting Word/Excel files in a Share?

How to prevent users from deleting Word/Excel files in a Share?

Is there a way to prevent users from deleting folder and files such as the Word or Excel files and only give access to edit and save them? I am on a Windows server 2003 and I want all other users to get only the things that I have told. Also, if anyone tries to delete the same files then an error should come up and a log should be generated for the admin for review, can this be done?

RE: How to prevent users from deleting Word/Excel files in a Share?

I dont think that it is possible to prevent any users to delete any files or folders. When you use Word then it actually makes a copy of the file and then replaces the original on exit and therefore anything which stops deletion also stops editing. You can try two methods to safeguard the same, that is either by protecting the folders and files or you can write a script which will seal the files after they have remained not edited for a specific period of time.

idharthGore Guest
    I was knowing that and I also thought about same. But I was wondering if there are any third party software to do such things then it would be helpful.

Re: How to prevent users from deleting Word/Excel files in a Share?

You can try click on Start and then go to Help and Support on "permissions" specifically the section on "Permissions on a file server". Just be sure what ever you are doing or else you will lock yourself out of Windows. Usually, the server administrator must get involved in order to set it up. Or else you can always make the file read/write so that it cannot be modified afterwards.