Thread: Cannot access Windows Registry

Cannot access Windows Registry

I am logged in as admin account in my Windows XP system. I am the only admin and still I am not able to access Windows Registry. When type regedit in Run box and hit OK I am getting a message that it disabled by the administrator. I had not disabled registry editor at all. I do not understand how that happened. How can I re-enable the same back again. I need some help on that. Thanks.

It is a virus in your system. Registry editor is not disabled nor there any option available in Windows to do that. Check that you would also be not able to launch Task Manager. You will get exactly the same error. Now to fix the issue scan your system with a good antivirus. Do that in Safe Mode. Then run system restore and check whether you are able to access registry editor or not. If all this does not work then the only option left is to run a repair Windows setup.

I too agree with the same. It is a virus infection in your system due to which you are not able to access the registry. And there is no use to enable it back again. As there are very limited options available to deal with the issue. There are some good antivirus on web. You must download them and install them first so that your system remains secure maximum. System restore will only give you temporary help and there are very less chances that it will be also working. Virus disables system restore and task manager so that you cannot access it. It modifies the file permission and put your account in limited privileges.