Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to disable Print Screen function on Windows

Windows Security

Old 22-01-2008

How to disable Print Screen function on Windows

I want to disable Print Screen from my system. I am using Windows Server. For some security purpose I want to disable the same. There are some people who are working on the server and they alloted different user accounts. But still I want to disable the same. I need some options to disable a single key. What are the option available for the same.

Old 24-01-2008

You can do that through customization of keyboard keys. There are two options for that. First. Using some third party software to modify the key settings and second by editing the keyboard script file which is inside Windows directory. Once the settings is removed you will be able to get rid of printscreen key press. That is the only way to turn it off. I will recommend you to use some keyboard customization tools.
Old 13-10-2008

You can do that through Autoit. It will allow you to disable the key you want. But for that you have to modify the keyboard file. You can find AutoIT from web and then run the script. It will allow you to disable the single key.
Old 14-10-2008

There is one more utility that you can try. It is called Mapkeyboard. When you run it it will show you a virtual keyboard on the screen. You can then press the one which you want to disable. It is one of the most easiest utility you can try. You can then remap the key back again and check whether it is working or not. You just have to click on save layout to make final settings. And also reboot is required.
Old 04-03-2011

re: How to disable Print Screen function on Windows

Nice work thanks..!

here a new added code with keyboard copy paste disables

Code:

Opt("TrayIconHide",1)
HotKeySet("{PRINTSCREEN}", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture PrintScreen
HotKeySet("!{PRINTSCREEN}", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture Alt+PrintScreen
HotKeySet("+{PRINTSCREEN}", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture +PrintScreen
HotKeySet("^{PRINTSCREEN}", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture Ctrl+PrintScreen
HotKeySet("!^{PRINTSCREEN}", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture Ctrl+Alt+PrintScreen
HotKeySet("^c", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture Ctrl+c
HotKeySet("^v", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture Ctrl+v
HotKeySet("^x", "DisablePrintScreen") ;capture Ctrl+x

While 1
WEnd

Func DisablePrintScreen()

EndFunc

thanks again

and anybody have any Idea to prevent right click copy past control with active directory??
Old 08-11-2011

maybe it's a little bit late, but there's a tool do disable print screen and snipping tool: ScreeN capture Manager ->

is keeps copies of screenshots too
Old 20-03-2012

these scripts are not working on windows 7.... Kindly tell me how to block print screen in windows 7?????????????
Old 21-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by basim_007 View Post
these scripts are not working on windows 7.... Kindly tell me how to block print screen in windows 7?????????????
You can disable the Print Screen function with key registry or Group Policy. Use regedit:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout] 
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,2a,e0,37,e0,00,00,37,e0,00,00,54,00,00,00,00,00
Old 29-04-2014

Re: How to disable Print Screen function on Windows

Can someone explain further.
I have seen this post about changing this registry settings using GP a few times.
But I seem to be missing a detail. where exactly to enter this?
I have located KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout
But where to enter the Scancode map and the = and the hex and the code.
Value name ? use default or change to scancode?
value type? REG__SZ, REG_DWord, REG_Binary, REG_Multi_SZ, etc?
with the 'hex=' or leave this word out, enter the entire "Scancode Map"=hex:00,.." with, without quotes in the value?

or even a simple go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout add the following "New Key? New String?, New Binary Value?, New Dword?

I have tried changing the registry key in a number of combinations, tried the GP, but have had no success. fyi - working on a virtual Win7 desktop, linked clone, separate OU, separate GP. no risk breaking anything.

Any help would be great.
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
You can disable the Print Screen function with key registry or Group Policy. Use regedit:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout] 
"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,2a,e0,37,e0,00,00,37,e0,00,00,54,00,00,00,00,00

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Security
Tags: , ,