Thread: Suspicious E-mail To Reset My Windows Live Password

Suspicious E-mail To Reset My Windows Live Password

I have recently got an email in my Windows Live Mail that seems to me very suspicious because I never requested to change my password for the mail that I am using. But also I am scared to follow the instructions to cancel the request since I dont know who sent this and did not provide any information on same which could be used wrongly. Can anyone tell me if the below email message is proper or a false one:

Reset your Windows Live password

Hello, xxxx@hotmail.com: We received your request to reset your Windows Live password. To confirm your request and reset your password, follow the instructions below. Confirming your request helps prevent
    unauthorized access to your account. If you didn't request that your password be reset, please follow the instructions below to cancel your request.

Can you tell us when you first signed up for Windows Live Mail then have you selected the option box that is given here: "Make Password Expire every 72 days". If yes then this is an automated request that you have applied for and the system wants you to change the password because of the 72 days expiry that you have opted for. You could try to change the password anytime you want, it all depends upon you.

In case if you think that this is scam then you should try the below suggestions:
    1. First of all you have to go into your account and manually reset your Password to a new STRONG password.
    2. After that you have to make sure you set up the other options which is nothing but Alternate Email Address, Special Question and Answer.
    3. After doing all this things, you wont get the messages again for Manual Password Reset.

It seems to me that someone else lodded into your windows live account and then tried to change the password. But because that someone did not know the password therefore he was only able to access but was not able to reset it. This case happens when you have left yourself logged into one of the computer and forgot to sign out, and then the other person comes on the same pc and when he checks the computer then he finds out your logged in windows live account. In any case you could try to ignore the message and then log back into Windows Live account and then directly reset the password yourself, since you have got the password and nobody else has it.

If you have not made the request then you can assume that it is a phishin attempt made on your information that you would have published somewhere on the net on any website. But incase you want to update your information then I would say dont use the link given in the email. Just login to your Windows Live account andthen simply reset the account online. The reason I am not letting you to click on the link is because although it may seem similar to the real link but it could be some other link that might redirect to some other website and then your information gets acknowleged on that unrelated website. There are many paypal scams done by many people, even some banks as well.