Thread: Network drives show disconnected, sometimes, but still work?

Network drives show disconnected, sometimes, but still work?

I have Windows 2003 Server Standard edition on my network. There are 4 workstations on the same. I am using Symantec Corporate Edition also configured on the network. All the 4 workstation has a 10GB storage space on the server. It is alloted as per user account. When a user log in with his id he get the Z drive mapped in My Computer. The server is working properly for years. I had not did not any major change except Windows Update. Now somehow there is issue with the system. The Z drive keeps on disappearing in between. It is connected and sometime it is not available. I had configured it properly and hope that there would be some proper fix available.

I am also facing the same issue. It looks recent updates has caused this. It use to work fine before. Later on I checked the server. All settings are intact. The drive get disconnected at login. But once it is connected it remain stable through out the day. Sometime I had see user complaining about access denied error. What can be cause.

It can't be the antivirus issue. The problem may lie with configuration. You must reconfigure all the drives back again. Just go in the user account in active directory and see that proper path is assigned or not. If the user login is not properly authenticated then this kind of issue appears. That is the reason I prefer to use FTP servers. They are much easier to manage. You just require to add the client in your all workstation and one server type tool on Windows Server. The configuration is easier and above all it is much better to reconfigure in case of any problem. You do not need to make changes in Active Directory.

The only way to fix this issue is re-installing all the settings through Active Directory once again. The problem with Windows Server is that it does not allow you any configuration type file which would help you to restore settings instantly. The same thing is offered by FTP server. I am too planing to FTP. But I am looking for a reasonable tool that offer a much better and easy management.