Thread: Failed to save Local Policy Database

Failed to save Local Policy Database

I have been using a Microsoft Workgroup which is working fine but I am not able to access a computer that is running Windows XP from the network and get the error message 'computer is not accessible and Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer'. So I try to join one of the computers in the network by name by going into 'Local Security Settings/Access this computer from the network' and it works until I click apply. After that I get a warning dialog box with the Security Templates message 'Failed to save Local Policy Database'. Can anyone tell me how should I solve this problem.

Re: Failed to save Local Policy Database

It seems to be that the secedit.sdb on the computer might be corrupted and therefore you should try to use the esentutl utility and check if it solves the issue.

The security database is corrupted.

Cause: A hardware problem if the computer is improperly shut down or a software error.

Run esentutl /g to check the integrity of the security database at %windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.

If the database is corrupt:

1. Attempt to recover it by running esentutl /r on the %windir%\Security folder. If this fails, attempt to repair it by running with esentutl /p on %windir%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb.

2. After that, delete the log files in %windir%\Security.

More information here - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

RE: Failed to save Local Policy Database

You should also take a look at the firewall settings and also check the gateway and subnet mask to see whether those are correct or not and fix the same.

Re: Failed to save Local Policy Database

I wonder how can that be relating to an issue for saveing the local security database?