Thread: security center won't start

security center won't start

I am on Windows XP and I have recently installed Service Pack 2 on my system but after that I am not able to restart the system. This SP2 was downloaded from the msdn website. The system will still not boot and therefore I started from CD and went backwards to XP SP1. And after that system boots normally without any issues. When I tried to update the operating system then Windows Installed 3.1 got installed properly but after that I was not able to download any more updates since those were all coming as 0 kb's with a failed message and then below thing:

Failed Updates
    For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each
    problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
    Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
    Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you dont use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
    Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
    Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
    Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

Microsoft Windows XP
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: security center won't start

Are you running Norton Internet Security Application on your computer in anyways? Because it might be blocking the downloading of the windows update files to your pc. You will have to turn it off or disable it completely inorder to get all the necessary updates getting downloaded on your computer and then installing it.

Can you try to confirm whether the Security Center service is running or not by following the below method:
    1. First of all you have to click on Start and then type Services.msc in the Run box, and then press Enter.
    2. After that in the right pane side, double-click Security Center.
    3. Now you have to go to the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.
    4. After that you need to restart the computer for applying the settings, and upon boot check Windows Security Center is running fine.

Re: security center won't start

security center is set on: automatic <- set to manual, start it
    this the path to the executable:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs <- SystemRoot missing
    \SystemRoot\C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs <- remove c:\windows\ from string