Thread: Some updates could not be installed on Windows Server

Some updates could not be installed on Windows Server

Some update failed to install on my system. I am not able to do that. I am using a Window XP system. There are some important security updates which are missing. I cannot ignore them at any cost. I am getting a a error that some updates failed to install. I am not getting any solution to fix the same. Is there any other way to fix the same. I do not want to re-install each and everything back from scratch. Thanks.

Leave it. It happens some time. Some updates are not proper or sometime Microsoft servers are too busy which cause this problem. It will be fixed by Microsoft if the problem persist from Microsoft's end. For some instant fix click on Start > Run and then type wuauserv and hit enter. Again launch run box and type %windir%\softwaredistribution. This will launch software distribution folder. You can remove all the updates from here if you want. Or just check that there is enough space in the C drive.

re: Some updates could not be installed on Windows Server

I had faced the same issue due to low disk space. I was not aware that my C drive is almost full and Windows Update is not able to download anything. Software Distribution is the folder where everything is installed. You can delete that to remove useless updates. Because Windows Update keep them there after download. Once they are applied they act as backup.

You can download those update manually and run the setup if you want. This are common issue with Windows Update. You just need to locate the kb article number. You can search that on web and download the setup. It is one of the easiest way to configure the updates. I always do this whenever I get any kind of errors.

What are the updates you are looking for. If you can provide me the kb number I can help you to get the right download. This is one the best way to fix the problem. I checked in my system and found the following updates : KB929123, KB938829, KB921503, KB936357, KB936782, KB938828 & KB936021. If any of this updates is giving you issue you can contact me. I will offer you the direct download link for the same.

There is a update manager that you can try to configure in your system. It will help you to get the most recent updates properly. If you are using WSUS then this type of issues are solved by time. You must avoid to keep checking for updates. Even after installing updates manually it is still shown as pending. It is recommended that you must leave the same on Windows Update. It will be updated automatically.

Can i use this tips and tricks for XP SP3 ? I installed SP3 and windows update was not unable to update..with the same message "These components were not installed" :(

There are some buggy updates which are released and cause this time of issue. You can try contacting Microsoft for the problem. Also there are patches which are released time to time for such issue. So there is nothing serious here. You must have a good antivirus installed in your system. That would do the job.. I had seen my WSUS showing up a number of pending updates. They just does not go even when I install them manually. So if those updates are shown then it does not means that your system is on risk.