Thread: how to disable control panel

how to disable control panel

I am on Windows XP and I want to know a way on how to disable the control panel in the same operating system. I have already tried the gpedit.msc and I was able to disable the control panel from there but it also disabled it for the administrator as well. I want it to be disabled for the normal users only and not for the admins. Any ideas?

Re: how to disable control panel

Run regedit

You will have to login as the user you want to restrict the Control Panel, for that click on Start and then in Run, you have to type regedit. After that go to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer try to add these DWORD values with an integer value of 0 or 1. 1 turns them on 0. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System
    use NoDispCPL : Hides the control panel

use NoSecCPL : Hides secure control panel

Re: how to disable control panel

You can try to download Doug's Windows XP Security Console from this link http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm, that allows you to assign various restrictions to specific users, whether you're running XP Pro or XP Home. You can also try to use the below 2 methods to prevent local group policy settings from being applied to all users:

How to apply local policies to all users except administrators in a workgroup setting in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B293655

HOW TO: Apply Local Policies to All Users Except Administrators on Windows Server 2003 in a Workgroup Setting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;325351

You can also try to download and install Windows SteadyState software rather makes it possible for users of Windows XP to impose a number of restrictions such as unable to display the name of the user profiles, the prohibition of locked profiles that can not be found on the computer, the prohibition to create folders or files to open Office documents from Internet Explorer, or write on USB storage devices.