Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

how to disable control panel

Windows Security

Old 25-07-2007

how to disable control panel

I am on Windows XP and I want to know a way on how to disable the control panel in the same operating system. I have already tried the gpedit.msc and I was able to disable the control panel from there but it also disabled it for the administrator as well. I want it to be disabled for the normal users only and not for the admins. Any ideas?

Old 25-07-2007

Re: how to disable control panel

Run regedit

You will have to login as the user you want to restrict the Control Panel, for that click on Start and then in Run, you have to type regedit. After that go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/Explorer try to add these DWORD values with an integer value of 0 or 1. 1 turns them on 0. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System
use NoDispCPL : Hides the control panel

use NoSecCPL : Hides secure control panel
Old 25-07-2007

Re: how to disable control panel

You can try to download Doug's Windows XP Security Console from this link http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm, that allows you to assign various restrictions to specific users, whether you're running XP Pro or XP Home. You can also try to use the below 2 methods to prevent local group policy settings from being applied to all users:

How to apply local policies to all users except administrators in a workgroup setting in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B293655

HOW TO: Apply Local Policies to All Users Except Administrators on Windows Server 2003 in a Workgroup Setting
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;325351
Old 28-03-2011

You can also try to download and install Windows SteadyState software rather makes it possible for users of Windows XP to impose a number of restrictions such as unable to display the name of the user profiles, the prohibition of locked profiles that can not be found on the computer, the prohibition to create folders or files to open Office documents from Internet Explorer, or write on USB storage devices.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Security
Tags: ,