Thread: Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives

Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives

I bought a new Desktop computer with Windows XP (Sp2) preinstalled. The system is working, no problem. But when I connected it with a Domain, since then it wont allow me to access any external USB drives connected to this computer. Not even CD/DVD drive. The only thing I get on my screen is an error saying:

“Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives”

Though am logged is an Administrator I can even install any software any more on this computer. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives

I have been through exactly same problem. After lots of working around I found that one of the USB Root Hubs under Device Manager > USB Controllers don’t have any value in device usage field. As far as I know it should be either enabled or disabled. But surprisingly there was no value. So later i came to know that our Domain Admin has blocked the access and only he can allow us that access.

Re: Administrator has restricted this computer to access USB/1394 mass storage drives

If am not wrong, I guess you both guys are having Acer systems, right? If yes, than let me tell you that I have pretty good experience of this because I have struggled lot for the same problem with my Acer laptops. I had two laptop, one was Acer and second was dell. Whereas dell laptop was working fine Acer was giving me the same problem.

Later I came to know that Acer use to have a program installed on their system named lanScope. You will find an icon for “lanScope Agent” in your system tray. You will get a message when clicking that will tell you that all your devices are locked. So you can fix your problem by simply changing settings for the same from Acer eLock utility or you can uninstall it as well.

The information re solving the problem of the Error Message for USB/1394 was great and really useful. I went ahead and uninstalled that Acer Lanscope programme Agent and now do not have the blocked access that I was encountering with USB devices. Many many thanks.