Thread: How to disable write access for CD/DVD drive?

How to disable write access for CD/DVD drive?

We are running a Domain in our office with several PCs connected. All user computers have CD/Dvd drive on their system but what I want is just allow them the read access for the same and not write access.

Is that possible? If yes, please let me know how can I restrict CD/DVD drive write access for all users? Many thanks.

There are various way of doing the same. If you want to do this individually on those computers then simply go to Control panel, click Administrative Tools, click Services. Here search for service named “IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service”. Double click the same and set it Disabled.

Re: How to disable write access for CD/DVD drive?

You can also do this from the registry. Go to Start, Click RUN, type regedit, press Enter. Now navigate to the following location:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer
    Here search for a key named “NoCDBurning”. Just double click the same and set its value to “1”. That’s it. Close the registry and reboot computer.

Even I need similar kind of help for windows 2000 pro and Windows xp based computers. I wanted to allow only burning access but they should not able to read CD/DVD Drive, is that possible? Thanks in advance.

No, not at all possible. You cannot burn if you don't even have read access to the media, especially if you want to verify the data that you just burned.

In fact,we can block writing via Windows Explorer but we havn\'t found a way to block CD/DVD writing using third party software.

But now,I found a product can block cd burning.

GiliSoft USB Lock is a data leak prevention tool that prevents leakage and copy of your data to USB Drives, External Drives, CDs/DVDs or other such portable devices. Once installed, USB Lock lets you block all such drives and devices that do not belong to you. With USB Lock, you can share your PC with anyone without fear of data theft.This is an easy and powerfull Endpoint DLP Suite that helps you to lock usb port,make dvd/cd burner read-only,block some websites,forbid some programs and disable more devices.