Thread: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request - how to fix this error?

Whenever I am trying to access a share one hop away I am getting an error message that says "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request", how can I solve this issue? Below is the port scan from the computer that I am using to try to access the share of the computer:

Interesting ports on <domain name>:
    Not shown: 1696 closed ports
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    80/tcp open http
    135/tcp open msrpc
    139/tcp open netbios-ssn
    445/tcp open microsoft-ds
    1031/tcp open iad2
    2301/tcp open compaqdiag
    3389/tcp open ms-term-serv
    9535/tcp open man
    MAC Address: <mac addy> (Compaq Computer)
    Device type: general purpose
    Running: Microsoft Windows 2003/.NET|NT/2K/XP
    OS details: Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standart Edition SP1, Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, 2003 Server SP1 or XP Pro SP2
    Network Distance: 1 hop

I think that this problem can occur when the WINS Client (TCP/IP) protocol is bound to the internal network adapter. This adapter is only for clustering. To resolve this behavior, disable the binding between the WINS Client (TCP/IP) protocol and the internal network adapter. For more information go to this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249909

Re: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request - how to fix this error?

A simple restart of the machine should fix the problem.

Sometimes the 2 computer connecting to each other lose connection and cant authenticate. You can still ping the destination but cant browse for example a shared folder which only a particular security group can access. It's due to lost connection and authentication.

Hope this helps...

Error:
    \\10.40.9.101 is not accesible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.

here iam accessing the sharing data in the server 2003. and iam accessing through windows professional(service Pack2).
    server IP is 10.40.9.101 and DNS is also same.
    workgroup system ip is 10.40.9.100 and Preffered DNS is 10.40.9.101.
    Here iam accessing data through Run prompt. It will show the above error.
    Plz Help me to solve this problem.

Re: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request - how to fix this error?

I had the same issue, where when I tried to connect one computer to another is would give me the same error message. I searched high and low for the answer, with no success.

Then it came to me, check to see if Simple File Sharing was turned on. It was, as soon as I shut that off, the computer connecting to the "server" computer would finally prompt me for a user name and password.

To shut that off:

On the "server" computer go to Control Panel, on the file menu choose Tools | Folder Options. On the View tab of that window, scroll down to the bottom and uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing".

I believe another way around this, would be to have the same account on both computers with the same password since it is "Simple" file sharing. I haven't tested that, but in theory that should work. I hope this helps.

hi
    i had the same problem too
    i found the answer
    you should go to control panel , folder option ,and then to view tab , and then check the "use sharing wizard"
    i tried it and it worked
    bye.