Thread: Installing third party driver without floppy drive

Installing third party driver without floppy drive

I want to install Windows XP on a drive which is connected to a Q-Tec Serial ATA 13434 card that is actually the secondry drive in the computer. The issue that I am facing is that I dont have floppy drive on my computer like many others have. Can anyone tell me how do I load the drivers for this card during the Windows XP installation? Thanks for any help.

Re: Installing third party driver without floppy drive

You could always get a USB Floppy Drive and then put the driver on the CD Rom. After that you can also put the driver in a USB Flash Drive or onto a memory card. Hope this helps.

As a temporary solution you can fit a diskette drive to the pc or you can also slipstream the drivers onto the Windows XP CD. The setup program will only accept the drivers supplied on a floppy disk or if they are slipstreamed and it will not accept either from flash drives or other external storage devices. Learn more about - Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 setup from this link here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314859

You can also try to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows XP. The below link describes the steps required to add original equipment manufacturer (OEM)-supplied drivers to Microsoft Windows installations. This article includes only those drivers that are typically installed during graphical user interface (GUI)-mode Setup or post-Setup by standard Plug and Play enumeration. This permits you to pre-load OEM Plug and Play drivers that you can use later, when the associated hardware is introduced in the system.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314479

You can try to put the drivers in a folder in the cd \i386\$OEM$\$1\drivers\ directory path and edit the .sif file and then follow this link here - http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/36/

You can even try nLite software which can create Windows XP CD. The entire process of creating custom Windows XP CD is done by using a wizard. We start by selecting the location of the files of Windows XP (presumably the original CD-ROM of Windows XP) and then of a temporary location or store final CD ISO image on the drive. Then we define the files and services that you want to exclude from the installation CD, it may indeed be appropriate to remove language files or drivers that you never have to use it for a few disk space.