Thread: Hacking into guest account

Hacking into guest account

I am having a laptop. I found that my son is able access the system through guest account and plays with the internal files. I am using a admin account which has a password and only I am know that. I cannot figure out how he can hack the system through guest account. Is that possible. If yes then how can I prevent him from entering in my system. I hope there would be some way that can provide some ways to deal with the issue. Thanks.

You can go in Control Panel and disable the public account. Just turned that off. There will be no active public account. Only the admin login will be visible on the login screen. You can try using some parental control software that will give you information on the guest activity. By this you can trace what changes or modification is done in your system. This is one of the best way to control a number of different activities.

Guest account just offer limited accessibility. For installing any new thing or for modifying any file the system will ask for admin login. The user who is using Guest or public account can only make changes to desktop files. That's all. There is nothing much he can do. You can also disable that. The steps that are mentioned above are proper and easy also. For parental control thing you will have to find some monitoring tool which can keep or generate logs of each user activity.

What you actually want to do. Do you want to lock your system so that no one, accept you can use it or you want a monitoring work. Windows offers mainly two types of login. The first one is admin login that consist of full privileges and the guest account which is limited and does not offer major rights. Hacking through guest account is not possible. As the account has no right to install any new applications and for hacking the person will need to install some tools. There are chances that your so might be aware of process to bypass your login.

I have two public accounts on my system. There can be some vulnerability or security hole which might allow a public user to modify admin files. But they are too high for a kid. How you find that your son is hacking your system. To ensure or to catch him you can simply install a software that can monitor each and every activity on the system and then generate a log file.

Just check that your son is not using any floppy or bootable cd. It is much easier today to get a live disc which gives instant access to all internal files in the system. Also there is a admin account in Windows. It does not appears on the regular login screen, but when you press Ctrl + Alt + Del the account appears on the screen. The default username is Administrator and there is no password. If that account is not locked then your system is easily accessible. Also there are some tools on web that can give you instant passwords.

That's right. It is much easier to locate a live cd or simply password cracker software. They are easily and freely available on web. You can download them and install it in your system. It provides you instant information on the login details.