Thread: Unknown Publisher Security Warning

Unknown Publisher Security Warning

I recently upgraded my Windows XP Home running on Dell laptop to Windows XP Pro. Everything went fine but after the upgrade am not able to open one of my MS Access application that is on a Network share. Every time I try opening, it gives me an error message saying “Unknown Publisher Security Warning”. This was not the problem until I was running with XP Home.

However, when I go to the file’s original location that is c:\docs & settings\all users\shared docs\, I can open it without any problems. I don’t have any idea what could be causing this problem and hence need help form you all guys.

If it matters to you guys, let me tell that I am the only Administrator of this system and logged in with the Admin account. Do you have any working solution for this?

Re: Unknown Publisher Security Warning

Am not sure but you should try out these steps and see if it works.
    • Go to Desktop, right click My Computer, select Properties.
    • Click the Advanced tab, then the Settings button under Performance
    • Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
    • Put a mark next to ' Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select’
    • Click the Add button and add Access.
    • Click Apply, OK. Close the System Properties window.

Now see if you are able to work properly. Let me know the results.

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions Patter-Son. i went through the steps but yet getting the same problem. I only seem to get this warning when I try to open the file in W Explorer.If I try to open the file from within Access the warning now does not appear. Having tried to open the file in Access I get an Access error 'Cannot open file - file is located outside intranet......or a potential security problem.........' .

The file is on a network share and Word documents linked to the database can be opened ok over the network using MS Word. Looking at the W Event Viewer (Local)\System I am getting a Warning that may be associated with the action

Try using the IE security settings to define the machine from which the share is received as being part of the Intranet.

Thank you very much Janos. That helped me to fix the problem. I went there and set the option at Medium-Low, that’s it. Now it seems to be working fine.

good stuff! using the info mentioned, it seems to have thwarted the use of ULTRAREACH (u94.exe or whatever it's been renamed to) on our network. the app is prevented from launching under Windows.

many thanks