Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uninstall/removal of MRT (Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool)

Uninstall/removal of MRT (Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool)

I had installed Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool. My system was infected with some virus. I was not able to remove this. I do not want it anymore. I checked inside Control Panel but still it is not listed. I need some help to get rid of this tool. I am using AVG already and upgraded to a licensed edition. I am sure that would be enough for cleaning the system from virus.

There would be no harm in keeping it. You can use it whenever you get any virus warning. It is just a simple .exe file. There is no installation I think. You have to run it and it scan the system. It is not like a full fledge applications which make place somewhere in the C drive. It is a nice tool and it is like on demand virus scanner. Also the system usage is very low. If you still want to get rid of it then simply delete the .exe file. That's all.

It is correct. The tool does not install on its own. You can just remove the .exe file that's all. I found this tool very helpful when my existing antivirus is outdated or when it is not able to detect any virus. As this is not a applications so it does not run in the memory. You can check task manager if you want. Once it is closed then antivirus stops. I keep this in a USB drive and scan it through there. At the end the tool offers a small log file which provides information on the scanning process. Like how many malware were found and removed. I will advice you to use the same and keep it for future usage.

I am using this for years. I found that this software does not install any file or run any updates in your system. It is just a applications which works directly when you double click the .exe file. There are many similar scanners on web. Which do not install, neither they download any updates from the web. There is no program folder created in Program Files that is the reason it is not displayed in Add/Remove. So there is nothing to worry about that.

It's Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - Uninstaller made by myself.

So when we choose not to download this intrusion as a recommended critical update, and untick it... it keeps showing up as updates are ready for your computer in the task bar. Why can't we turn this thing off for things we don't want. I don't mind critical updates, but this is not one.

Re: Uninstall/removal of MRT (Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool)

The Malicious Software Removal Tool does not use an installer. Typically, when you run the Malicious Software Removal Tool, it creates a randomly named temporary directory on the root drive of the computer. This directory contains several files, and it includes the Mrtstub.exe file. Most of the time, this folder is automatically deleted after the tool finishes running or after the next time that you start the computer. However, this folder may not always be automatically deleted. In these cases, you can manually delete this folder, and this has no adverse effect on the computer.

Or, instead of a huge bunch of rampant speculation:

Go to %windir%\system32\

If you see a file named MRT.exe:

Delete it if you don't want it.
    Leave it if you do want it or don't care.

EOT.

Everyone should remove this useless "tool". It has been confirmed (M$ let it slip) that this is nothing more than a Government backdoor (trojan). **** the Government and their control grid/NWO.

Although it is said this tool only runs once a month, it would start up and run continuously for four to eight days on my 7 year-old, still high performing desktop. MTR.EXE would slow it to a crawl. I asked more than one tech expert from the various websites and retail stores what was happening that caused the hd to run 24 hours per day. No one could help. I even bought a new laptop because this old desktop would hardly run with MRT.EXE running 24/7. Found this forum and deleleted MRT.EXE after researching further on other forums. Computer hard drive is finally quieted. It is a wonder the hard drive still works after spinning 2000 to 3000 hours per year for 3/4 years. Speed back to normal. YAY!! Since I set MS updates to ask for permission to download, will deny it from now on. Now I need to fix on my new computer and my wife's new computer.
    Last edited by Buffhere; 10-03-2011 at 06:39 PM.

On the system in the left hand side you will find Start just open the Start menu and double-click on "Computer." Alternatively, you can click "My Computer" icon desktop. Locate and open the folder "Windows" and double click on the "System32" folder. Scroll through the System32 folder to find a label file Mrt.exe or MRT. Select and click the "Mrt.exe" or file "MRT" and select "Delete." There will be a message, click "Continue." Close the open window. You have to restart your computer when you are finished removing the program.

Thanks for the kind help, Candace. MRT is now gone from my computers. I need to be more vigilant about what M$ is doing "updating" my computers. Have switched them all to update with my approval/permission. We have four computers, two new and two old. Only one was acting funny by running continuously for days on end. MRT actually started running yesterday (Wed) and was still running today until I shut it down via Task Mgr. This versus a complete scan with Trend Micro taking about 90 minutes. Oh yes, the day and date are correct on the computer. Have a great day!!

I have MS Removal Tool suddenly pop up on my computer today. It has become quite a nuisance as it keeps popping balloons stating I need to run it before I can run certain programs that are "infected" with a virus/trojan. I have read some of the previous posts and would like to remove MSRT. However I am basically a novice at computers and so do not know how to get to %windir%\system32\ as was posted by a couple other gentlemen. Could you please explain to me how to do this so I can remove this nuisance.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymar View Post
    I have MS Removal Tool suddenly pop up on my computer today. It has become quite a nuisance as it keeps popping balloons stating I need to run it before I can run certain programs that are "infected" with a virus/trojan. I have read some of the previous posts and would like to remove MSRT. However I am basically a novice at computers and so do not know how to get to %windir%\system32\ as was posted by a couple other gentlemen. Could you please explain to me how to do this so I can remove this nuisance.
    Thanks!
    You can follow the below method to delete the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool:
    1. You will first need to click your Windows Start menu, then click “Search.”
    2. A pop up will ask, “What do you want to search for?” Click “All files and folders.”
    3. Type a Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool file in the search box, and select “Local Hard Drives.”
    4. Click “Search.” Once the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool file is found, delete it.

First of all, do you have an Antivirus program? Has it run recently, like the past 24 hours? If not, you may actually be infected and should let MRT run or manually run your antivirus program. Antivirus programs have names like Norton, AVG, Trend Micro, MacAfee, and others. If the antivirus program has not run recently, open it and have it run the most detailed scan of your computer that can be run. I am a computer user but not an expert like some you may find on this forum. So, if you get your computer locked up or some other serious problem from a virus, I won't be able to help you.

I assume you have Windows XP (Windows 7 is similar). (Where I say Click on a folder or file, it may take two clicks. It depends on how your computer is setup.)
    Go to the start button on the lower left of your screen.
    Left click on the start button. On the menu which comes up, there is a COMPUTER button.
    Left click on the COMPUTER button. On the panel which opens up, there is a C drive noted.
    Left click on the C drive
    Scroll down to WINDOWS folder and left click on the WINDOWS folder
    Scroll down to the System32 folder and left click on that folder.
    Scroll down to MRT.EXE file. Right click on that file and select Delete. Left click on Delete and that file will go to the Recycle Bin.

(If you leave MRT.EXE in the RECYCLE bin you can always put it back in place in SYSTEM32 folder by going to the RECYCLE bin, open RECYCLE bin, right click on MRT.EXE, Restore.)

Thanks for your help. When I did what Super Cop detailed I found:
    C:\Program Data\gOjCdOeBhEb16633.exe
    However I can't seem to find this file anywhere in order to delete it. Any ideas?

Also when I did what Buffhere detailed, I was able to find and remove the MRT file, but when I rebooted my computer, the annoying balloons and program keep popping up. Did I do something wrong, perhaps?

Thanks again!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast