Thread: Internet explorer/Firefox failed to connect

Internet explorer/Firefox failed to connect

I am running Windows Vista on my computer with Windows Defender and AVG antivirus is also installed on this machine. There were not issues for some couple of months but yesterday all of a sudden I was not able to get into Firefox of Internet Explorer, although there is internet connection and the AOL browser that I am using is working fine. I have removed and reinstalled firefox a couple of times, done system restore and also have done virus scan but nothing is working for me. The error that I am getting is:

Failed to Connect
    The connection was refused when attempting to contact en-gb.www.mozilla.com.
    Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
    * Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

Is there anyone who can help me out to solve the above error message?

Re: Internet explorer/Firefox failed to connect

I dont think that this issue would be caused by Windows Defender. Are you only not able to access only the mozilla website or other website as well? Do you have any other antivirus installed on your system or some security programs? Is there any anti-spyware software that you are using or if any third party firewall perhaps? Have you installed the latest Service Pack for your Windows Vista system?

Re: Internet explorer/Firefox failed to connect

The problem is not only with the mozilla website but any other website that I am trying to open, not a single site will open. I dont have any other antivirus or security suites or firewall installed on my machine. But one thing that I remember is that this machine came pre-loaded with Norton antivirus and I had uninstalled it and then install AVG on my system? Also, how can I know that I have the latest service pack installed on my machine. Thanks.

I would recommend you to download and run the Norton Removal Tool by searching it on google to uninstall your Norton product. The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed. More information can be found here - https://www-secure.symantec.com/nort...=1&lg=en&ct=us

If you want to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack then manually check Windows Update for updates, follow these steps:

1. Click Start and then click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
    2. In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.
    3. After Windows Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates.
    4. Click to select the check boxes for the updates that you want to install, and then click Install.
      If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.