Thread: DCOM shutdown error

DCOM shutdown error

I started getting this problem about 8 days ago. Whenever my system goes into standby Mode and comes back, it generates and error message saying System shutdown initiated by NT Authority/system System must restart because DCOM server process launcher terminated."

I tried searching this error on Google and found many sites saying that system could be infected with malware. Well I installed Norton, Ad-aware SE as well as spybot and did deep scan but nothing found anything suspicious. That means my system is clean.

So what is causing the error and how can I fix the same?

Re: DCOM shutdown error

Am not sure what could be the cause of problem but can suggest you few things to workout. Go to Start, click RUN, type services.msc and hit enter. Now go to DCOM server process launcher, go to properties/recovery and set failures to restart the service. By doing this we can atleast come to know if it is creating the problem. Also check your Event Viewer if there is any log with new errors.

Hi Dan,
    I'm having much the same prob. I believe it's related to a trojan called Bravesentry that poses as spyware killer and tries to force you to buy Bravesentry. I managed to keep Bravesentry from popping up but can't do much else because the comp. keeps shutting down. Did you find a way to stop the comp from shutting down?

i was having the same problem but i found the solution. After you start up your computer and all your programs load run RKill. It stops viruses and any other type of malware from continuing. you can find it at this website(just scroll down until you see RKILL DOWNLOAD LINK) (i know it says internet security 2010 removal but rkill is really for everything)

The only way I have been able to control the computer from rebooting is to disconnect it from the internet. I have not had any issues when the computer is not online.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteDataView View Post
    The only way I have been able to control the computer from rebooting is to disconnect it from the internet. I have not had any issues when the computer is not online.
    Can you please specify what kind of problem you are facing in full details? Have you tried reloading the drivers for your lan card or something? What happens when you log into safe mode, does it still reboots? What is the computer specifications you are having? There could be a malware/virus problem in your computer as well, so try to scan your pc with some good antivirus software.

Sorry, I was repling to a post a few above regarding DCOM server process launcher. My box keeps rebooting when it's on line and throwing the dcom error in the posts above. I have since disconnected it from the iternet as well as changed the recovery mode on the properties of the dcom service to do nothing on failure. I have downloaded fixblast from symantec and am running it to see if it finds any malware.