Thread: Pass Through Authentication chooses wrong user account on remote server??

Pass Through Authentication chooses wrong user account on remote server??

I have got 2 servers which is listed below:
    • ABC that is on Windows 2003 and has two local accounts, AccountA and AccountB, both local administrators.
    • XYZ thats on Windows 2000 and has two local accounts, also named AccountA and AccountB, both local administrators.

These servers are member servers and not DCs on the same mixed mode 2003 domain. Bother the AccountA and AccountB passwords are same on both servers and for the purpose of pass-through authentication. When I log into ABC locally with AccountB, and UNC to \\Pluto\c$ at the run command, expecting the local AccountB on Pluto to be used to access the shared resource then I get the error message that it cant be accessed and also the referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to. Below are the logs of the server:

Logs from XYZ:

Event Type: Failure Audit
    Event Source: Security
    Event Category: Account Logon
    Event ID: 681
    Date: 09/05/2006
    Time: 11:34:04 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: Pluto
    Description:
    The logon to account: AccountA
    by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
    from workstation: Mars
    failed. The error code was: 3221226036

Re: Pass Through Authentication chooses wrong user account on remote server??

Can you fo to Control panel on your ABC server and then check for the sored user names and passowrds to see if anything is shown there which could be using the other user account. You can then try to remove the entries from there incase if you want to.

I think that if the virtual directory does not specify fixed credentials, use the authenticated user if it has already been determined by an authentication method. This is referred to as pass-through authentication. You cannot use this to access web.config files, because this access occurs before IIS determines the authenticated user. More information over here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd163543.aspx