Thread: Domain Admin Account Keep getting locked out from Windows 7 Workstations

Hi, My colleagues domain account keeps getting locked out from windows 7 workstations in the domain. he has domain admin privileges for his account and used to login to these workstations with his domain account for installing softwares & other activities. i can see event id 644 on my domain controller for locking his account from a particular PC. if that workstation is offline, then some other windows7 workstation locks the account. we also have many win XP workstations but we have never seen this issue happening from it. I assume logging onto all these windows 7 workstations with his latest password will temporary solve the issue but it is not practical to login to 100+ windows 7 workstations everytime he changes the password. we also made sure there are no services or scheduled jobs running on these workstations under his account.

Can anyone help me on this ASAP.

Re: Domain Admin Account Keep getting locked out from Windows 7 Workstations

Quote Originally Posted by Techguy_2012 View Post
    Hi, My colleagues domain account keeps getting locked out from windows 7 workstations in the domain. he has domain admin privileges for his account and used to login to these workstations with his domain account for installing softwares & other activities. i can see event id 644 on my domain controller for locking his account from a particular PC. if that workstation is offline, then some other windows7 workstation locks the account. we also have many win XP workstations but we have never seen this issue happening from it. I assume logging onto all these windows 7 workstations with his latest password will temporary solve the issue but it is not practical to login to 100+ windows 7 workstations everytime he changes the password. we also made sure there are no services or scheduled jobs running on these workstations under his account.

Can anyone help me on this ASAP.
    I had previously come around similar case where one user had mentioned that Domain Admin Account was getting locked out every 5-10mins but then the below solution had later solved out this issue.
    • Go in to Control Panel>Control Panel>Change Advanced Sharing Settings
    • and after that under the "HomeGroup Connections" just make sure that you are check marking or selecting the "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" option and then just save the same.

If you want then you can try out the same and see if it is making any difference in your case as well or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kh@LnaYak View Post
    I had previously come around similar case where one user had mentioned that Domain Admin Account was getting locked out every 5-10mins but then the below solution had later solved out this issue.
    • Go in to Control Panel>Control Panel>Change Advanced Sharing Settings
    • and after that under the "HomeGroup Connections" just make sure that you are check marking or selecting the "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" option and then just save the same.

If you want then you can try out the same and see if it is making any difference in your case as well or not.
    thanks for the reply. in fact i had tried this option before I posted my issue here. this did not help me and the account was still getting locked out from the same machines.

Have you tried to use the LockoutStatus.exe that is a part of the Account Lockout and Management tools to find out the domain controller that are used in the lock out user account. You can download the same from here. You can also go ahead to filter through the security log of domain controller incase you have enabled audit account logon security policy to find out the earlier event related to lockout of the similar account.

Quote Originally Posted by super cop View Post
    Have you tried to use the LockoutStatus.exe that is a part of the Account Lockout and Management tools to find out the domain controller that are used in the lock out user account. You can download the same from . You can also go ahead to filter through the security log of domain controller incase you have enabled audit account logon security policy to find out the earlier event related to lockout of the similar account.
    i have tried this already and able to see the computer accounts that locks the user accounts(i can also see this from DC security log). but as i mentioned in my original post, these machines keep locking out the account untill the user(domain admin) logs into each machine with his new password(after expiry).