Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error 0x800106ba while starting Windows Defender

Error 0x800106ba while starting Windows Defender

I am using Windows XP. I had downloaded and installed Windows Defender Beta edition. It was installed properly. There were no errors on setup. Now when I try to run it I am getting a error on my screen. The error is Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. The system freezes for some while. I had restarted the system but still getting exactly the same error. The entire error description is : A problem caused WindowsDefender Service to stop.To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support on how to start a service manually.

Windows Defender error when restarting computers with VirusScan 2009
    installed:

This answer is for Vista .

Just go to START ----- SEARCH ----- Type "services" ---------- scroll down to windows defender----------right click--------properties--------change Startup type to "Automatic-------click on Start to run the service-------YOUR WORK IS DONE BABES!!!!!!!!!!

How did it get disabled in the first place? Does it stay enabled when you
    reboot?

Looks like some issue with defender service which failed to start on startup. I found a link that has a fix to solve the problem. Just visit the below link and download the fix. Run the setup and that's all. If this does not work then try to remove the older one and install a fresh setup one more time. This would be the best to fix the issue.

Error message when you run Windows Defender: "Error Code 0x800106ba"

re: Error 0x800106ba while starting Windows Defender

Adi....those of us who are getting this error, 0x800106ba, know what you are talking about... I for one am eternally grateful. In searching for help I found two different companies trying to sell me $30 programs to solve the problem and Microsoft wanted $59 for one question.... You gave me the cure in such easy to follow steps that if I was to see you anywhere I'd hug and kiss you regardless of the consequenses... your answer was not in reply to my search but I did find it while googling for help.... I just don't know how else to thank you except to say MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU....(cause I don't know if you belive in God and don't want to offend.) Needless to state ....You my friend are a genious.
    Last edited by Profesor X; 26-03-2009 at 07:29 PM.

Thank you so much for being the only one that could fix that darn error code 0x800106ba. I love you for this. I have countless times reformatted my computer. I have spent money on programs to fix the error. Thank God they refunded me. YOU are the ONLY one who could fix this. I've gone to Microsoft for help, I've gone to Vista and I've gone to people who are well educated in computers but no one was able to help. THANK YOU!

Adi - Mate - You are a deadset LEGEND - I wish I could buy you a beer. I had same probs as other - went to microsoft - $89 they wanted here - plus other people & sites promising fixes - of course for money - which I don't have (had I, I probably would have been fool enough to pay) - I tried exactly what you said and BANGO it stuffin' worked - all is now good. You have saved me my sanity and a lot of money. I actually signed up to this forum today so that I could just say a big THANX MATE :) - I hope you get this post and that others follow what you said for Vista - it definately works. Just occurred to me - it's still not showing in my program list - but is when I pull up "services" - any ideas on how to get it back there anyone? Thanx

Hi PA Bear - thanks for the link - could also be of great help - this how it disappeared - woke up one mornin' - turned on the computer and there was the error message - went for a search and found that defender had gone from my program list and the icon had also disappeared - spooky :) - every time I rebooted there was the error message - couldn't turn the little sucker off as it had locked up my security system - hmn - since doing what Adi said have had no probs - even with defender turned on and mcafee running - alls good now on both comps - one running XP and one running Vista - only thing is, am not quite sure how to get it from the "services" list back into the all programs list - tho' my icon has come back - will have a go this arvo - any tips would be appreciated cos as you've probably gathered by now I'm a bit technologically inept - but hey I have a go and am learning fast. PS. Problem only happened on my Vista comp. Thanx again PA hope you have a great day!

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. In that look for Windows Defender service. Right click on that and then choose Automatic or Start. This services fails to install due to which you are getting that error. I hope you are running the setup in admin account. Also if there is any additional antivirus installed in your system disable that for sometime and then check back.

Thank you for providing such a quick and easy fix. It is disheartening that when following the vague instructions provided in the WD popup message I reached a dead end! I know exactly how my system ended up with the problem:I received an error message from McAfee saying that my system wasn't fully protected and had to run through a download process. By selecting "typical" download I was given all of their "protections" i ncluding a firewall -- which I did not want (nor have ever used). The install process reset my preferences and mucked up Windows Defender / Windows Firewall. Today I got around to re-intalling Mcfee using "custom" and excluded McAfee firewall. I thought that would resolve the WD error message -- NOT. Thanks again for your assistance!

Stacy from Detroit

Thanks for this thread. I had wasted $100 on Microsoft tech support to get fix for this problem. Yet it was not working. I never thought there would be so easy fix available that can help me to get rid of this error. I tried that fix provided on Microsoft Support website and it worked.

My gratitude, brother. I got rid of the problem by following your instructions. Like the others, I found none being able to help, least of all Microsoft. Once again my grateful thanks. I think it got disabled after I downloaded once of Microsoft's patches. Anyway it is staying enabled. Once again, thank you very much.

Hi all - I've got the same Windows Defender message:
    "Application failed to intialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused Windows
    Defender Service to stop.To start the service, restart your computer or
    search Help and Support on how to start a service manually."

I have tried the Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services, Window Defender, Properties route to try and switch the status from manual to automatic but UNFORTUNATELY, in my case, I CAN'T do it - it is at manual and it doesn't allow me to switch to automatic!

All suggestions/idead would be much appreciated.

Adi, I also want to thank you for your help... I think my Defender was deactivated during a process to rid my computer of remnants of an old McAfee program that I thought I'd uninstalled. Regardless of why I started getting the error, it is now GONE! I'm very lucky to have stumbled across your directions to resolve the problem, and am very grateful! Thank You!

i don't know if anyone is still following this thread...but I can't get it to work...i'm going to properties, but I can't find the start up option...i already tried RegCure and Registry Easy and nothing works...i have Vista on my computer...thank you...

Thank You Very Much !!!

that's amazing to fix this problem, you are really the best.

hi! I have the same problem as allan morgan but I'm using XP..how can you configure it in xp?

Thank you so much. Spent ages working on this and now it is fixed. Appreciate the support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast