Thread: Windows won't unzip zip files. Says it's blocked.

Windows won't unzip zip files. Says it's blocked.

I cannot unzip any file in Windows XP SP2. I am facing error with that. I get a message that the file is blocked. It consist of some word files that are sent by a friend in attachment. My computer has AVG installed in it. The file is trusted and I am sure it is not locked. It is in the attachment. I had a unzipping utility installed in my system. There is no unlock option provided while unzipping the file. I had also installed Windows Defender recently. Does it is causing the problem. Thanks.

I do not think that your antivirus application or either Windows is blocking that. What message do you get exactly on your screen. Is it blocked or locked. Locked means the zip file has password and you cannot open that without that password. You must ask the guy who sent you the attachment and talk him about the unlock password.

I do not agree that the security applications do not block the zip files. They can do that. You can start by testing it through disabling them. The file might be detected as an suspicious in your system because of which it does not allow you to open it. In my system after installing defender I cannot unzip any zip file. I removed and things went back to normal. It looks Defender is having some kind of settings which block the zip files. I am still trying to find that and hope it will be available.

I am also facing the same issue. I am not able to open the zip file and extract files from it. This made the job more complicated. I am not sure that this is due to the antivirus. But the zip file that I am trying to open might contain some virus. It is a small dos based software that is created by my friend. I cannot test that on any other system. It is necessary that for start you must test the zip file is safe or not and then only go for any unzipping stuff.

Upgrade your browser to get rid of that issue. It will be helpful or try something else. Also IE has a popup blocker. That can be the issue behind that. You must disable that or simply turned that off to unlock the zip file. And if the popup blocker is is turned off then you can try resetting the browser settings.

Right click on the file and see whether it is not marked as read only. Sometime file properties are set to view files only and you are not allowed to modify it. That is the reason they do not open up. You said that the files are blocked. That means you cannot unzip. I hope it is not password protected. There are many other useful unzipping software that you can use to unzip the documents. They are much more helpful and better in many ways.

Yes I am sure the zip file is marked as read only because of which you cannot open the file. This are common file permission problem. I had seen this a number of time in linux. My workstation which has linux and a other one which has windows are on the same network. I have a shared folder on my system. Whenever some transfer files in it, it show me a lock symbol on the files and folder. I have to ask to give full permission to modify the files.

Right click file with mouse go to properties click unblock. Save zip file to a different location (save not unzip) then right click with mouse, go to properties, then click unblock.