Thread: Can't start Windows Firewall

Can't start Windows Firewall

I am not able to run the firewall on my computer, I have searched for some similar threads and have tried all the solutions that is by going through services.msc and cmd as such but nothing seems to be working for me. When I used the services.msc, then I am getting the following error that states "Could not start Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. Error1075: The dependancy service does not exist or has been marked for deletion". When I am using the cmd.exe then I am getting "Could not obtain information from machine. Some commands may not be available. Class not registered". I have also tried the winsock xp fix method but that doesnt work either. So can anyone tell me how do I fix this issue? Thanks.

Re: Can't start Windows Firewall

I think that the firewall service depends on the Remote Procedure Call service (RPC). And therefore if that is not started or if it is disabled then the Firewall or the ICS service will not start at all. I think that the RPC Service default settings are started and automatic if I am not mistaken.

Hello and thanks for the replies, I have already checked that the RPC service is running fine without any issues but when I am trying to start the Windows Firewall or Security Center then I am getting the Error 1075 message which I have posted in the first question.

Try to follow the below method and see if that helps:

1. First of all go to Control Panel
    2. After that you have to double click Add or Remove Programs
    3. Now you have to click Add/Remove Windows Componets
    4. Here you will need to scroll down to Management and Monitoring Tools and check the box and then click Next
    5. You now need to simply open Security Center or Windows Firewall or go to Services and start the services.

A million +1 thank you! Been trying to get Zone Alarm to work, but many .dll errors. Thought I'd fall back on Windows firewall, but kept getting same problems as others. Other sites suggest many things, but your's worked!

Much appreciated - now can put my laptop down and go do life stuff!