Thread: Regedit "Error while opening key"

Regedit "Error while opening key"

I have Windows XP with service pack 2 running under Virtual PC 2004 which is also with service pack 1. This virtual pc with xp install is proper and clean as is the host system as well. I recently got an email that one of the system is infected with adware. When a rootkit revealer was run on the infected computer then it found out the HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\InprocServer32 key with the following things:

Key name contains embedded nulls (*)

The error message that I was getting was "Cannot open InprocServer32: Error while opening key." So can anyone tell me a way to manage this regedit so that it can be deleted or so. Thank you.

Can you try to check the Bart's PE which is a mini windows environment and regedit can be run from there with the usual permissions and security measures do not apply. BartPE will allow you to create a live CD ultimate that integrates all the tools you need. At first sight, the realization of such a CD seems reserved for experts, but in reality, the ease that emerges from BartPE that makes it accessible to the greatest number.

Re: Regedit "Error while opening key"

I dont think that Bart's PE will work because it is not a problem with the host or VPC that is installed and those are also not infected at all. So the problem lies in the Win32 API that is used by REGEDIT that can be viewed but cant be managed, the registry key names with the embedded nulls. You can try to download the "RegDelNull" tool that usually allows the null containing entries to be deleted. It can be also downloaded from here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897448.aspx