Thread: Offer Remote Assistance - "Permission denied" - Windows XP SP2

Offer Remote Assistance - "Permission denied" - Windows XP SP2

The "Offer Remote Assistance" to work in our child domain is having some problem. When using the "Offer Remote Assistance", if we click the connect button from a Windows XP service pack 2 which is having the Windows Firewall enabled then an error comes up with "Permission denied", and there are nothing in the even log as well. If we put it in the Windows server 2003 then it will give a different error message "Access to the requested resource has been disabled by your administrator". So can anyone tell me how to fix this issue?

RE: Offer Remote Assistance - "Permission denied" - Windows XP SP2

Even I am hving the same issue with permission denied only there is no GP or AD involved except for local policy of enabling RA. This is a Novell network I am on and gonna soon change to 2003. This was working a couple of months before when U first set it up on different machines which is a weird thing but now nothing helps. A help is definitely required for both of us.

Re: Offer Remote Assistance - "Permission denied" - Windows XP SP2

There isnt any real fix for this issue but it may be that it could be related to COM permissions and in particular the settings in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole registry key. I also checked that I was not able to run the DCOMCNFG utility and when viewed the 'Component Services', then it was crashing continuously with logging errors in the application event viewer with Event ID 4689.

Offer Remote Assistance

This seems to be a pretty old thread but I have found a fix for this problem. Even I was facing this similar problem and checked in the key of working station and compared it on a non working station. So on the novice computer, when I checked in the registry then the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Ole key made some String Value called EnableDCOM which we need to set its value to Y. And everything started to work fine.