Thread: Firewall not starting windows 7

Firewall not starting windows 7

For a while now, I've had a problem where my firewall wouldn't start up. I've done multiple things but I still couldn't get it up. Also, at the same time firewall wouldn't start up, my internet icon in the tray says that I have no internet connection even though I do.

I get a "the dependency service or group failed to start" error message when I access the network and sharing center. When i start firewall I get the usual 08x007042c error.

My computer's been scanned multiple times since, running a scan at the moment as well but nothing found yet.

Re: Firewall not starting windows 7

Have you tried to start the Windows Firewall services manually as well as make sure it starts automatically in the future. To do this, follow the steps below:
    • Click the Start button, then type Services in the Search programs and files box (Windows 7) or in the Start search box (Windows Vista).
    • Right-click Services. Note: there will be a cogwheel located next to it. Then click Run as administrator. If prompted, enter your administrator user name and password, then press Enter.
    • Scroll until you see Windows Firewall. Double click Windows Firewall.
    • Click the drop down menu next to Startup type, then choose Automatic.
    • Under Service status, if it is listed as Stopped, click Start.
    • Click Apply, then click OK.
    • Scroll until you see Base Filtering Engine. Double click Base Filtering Engine.
    • Under Service status, if it is listed as Stopped, click Start.
    • Click Apply, then click OK.
    • Restart Windows. Windows Firewall should be enabled.

ok I've checked the firewall service, it's already on automatic but when i try to start it it says
    "error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."

when trying to start the base filtering one I get:
    error 5: access is denied

and the scan came up with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by azumi159 View Post
    "error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."
    Well, the said error describes something else but anyways, you can fix this withe below steps:
    • Click Start, type Services.msc in Start Search bar, and then press Enter.
    • In the right pane, double-click Microsoft Network Inspection.
    • In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.
    • Also check the following services.

Fore more info on this error, check this Microsoft article.

I opened services.msc but there's no Microsoft Network Inspection there.
    The error that i said came from when I tried to turn on the firewall service the above poster asked to do.
    The error box says that "windows cannot start the ___ service (both base filtering and windows firewall) on local system. Error 5(for base filtering) access is denied or Error 1068 (for windows firewall) dependency service etcetc.

When I checked that Microsoft article and troubleshooted, I couldn't get "Network Location Awareness" started because of some error.
    "cannot start NLA on local computer. for more information, review the system event log. if this is non-microsoft etcetc.

Quote Originally Posted by azumi159 View Post
    I opened services.msc but there's no Microsoft Network Inspection there.
    The error that i said came from when I tried to turn on the firewall service the above poster asked to do.
    The error box says that "windows cannot start the ___ service (both base filtering and windows firewall) on local system. Error 5(for base filtering) access is denied or Error 1068 (for windows firewall) dependency service etcetc.

When I checked that Microsoft article and troubleshooted, I couldn't get "Network Location Awareness" started because of some error.
    "cannot start NLA on local computer. for more information, review the system event log. if this is non-microsoft etcetc.
    Can you try to verify that the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service is started. Also verify that the service is configured to logon as Local System Account. The quickest resolution is generally to rebuild the key. Instructions for doing this are in the following article, along with a FIXIT link: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;920074

ok. The RPC service is started so every dependency under Base filtering is fine but it gives error 5: access is denied when trying. It's on "log on as: local system".

I went through heaps of things such as making sure the registry had the correct permissions etc. Nothing.

I do have Windows 7 OS but I tried that Microsoft support thing and nothing happened still.

The following reasons may cause to the error message that you are getting:
    1. Time Synchronization problem.

2. Missing permission to access the remote computer (Share, NTFS, GPO).

3. Firewall and/or third party product may eliminate connection to the remote computer.

4. The computer account isn't disable (Or have expired computer account password)

or doesn’t exiting in the domain.

5. Active Directory replication problem may occur.

Also, take a look at a solution given for this error 5 - Access Denied from here - Solution for System error 5 - Access Denied

However, I'm not accessing a remote computer or anything, I'm using this computer than I am on now.

Can you tell us whether the firewall has ever started correctly? If yes, what changed in your environment? Let's try to verify you are logged on as a administrator. Then as a test, I would disable the User Account Control and see if you still get an access denied with trying to start the Base Filtering Engine.

Umm. Yes, the firewall has worked, for the past 2-3 years but a few months ago I think it was when my computer had trouble starting up and it took ages of changing stuff to get it working. After it started up, heaps of things started acting up which were mainly the firewall and my internet requiring some fine tuning of details to get it working as opposed to just as it usually was. And that the icon in the bottom right says "no internet connection available"
    This is the only account on the computer and it is admin so I get no access denied or anything from the computer, other than the error box "error 5: access is denied". User account control has also been disabled.

Firewall not starting windows 7

Id second the advice that you found elsewhere:
    Just run the in-box Windows firewall. A third-party firewall isnt going to make the box any more secure; but, it is likely to create a fair amount of pain for you.

Just my 0.02