Thread: BitLocker recovery key lost

BitLocker recovery key lost

I am writing because I recently had a problem with the software encryption in BitLocker. Indeed, following Microsoft's newsletter, I decided to test the new Windows 7. Under this OS, I decided to encrypt all data that was on my external hard drive. Since the release of Win 7 was limited in time, I'm back in my original OS (Windows XP). But like when I reconnected my hard drive the OS did not recognize, since it was encrypted. So I again reinstall Win 7 to regain access to my hard drive when I want to access my hard drive, it asks me the "key recovery" rather than the password I had configured originally. The problem is that the file with my key recovery is on the hard disk which I cannot access. Does someone could help me solve this problem, which frightens me? I fear I have lost all my data and my pictures. Is there a way to regain access to my hard drive? Or regenerate the key to recovery. Thank you in advance for your invaluable help!

Re: BitLocker recovery key lost

In case of loss of information retrieval, data protected by BitLocker are they ruined? Actually BitLocker helps make the fatal encrypted volume without authentication required. In recovery mode, the user must have the password or recovery key to unlock the encrypted volume. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you store the recovery data in Active Directory Domain Services or another secure location. However, this function is useful when the computer is turned off, sold or redeployed. The computer can be placed in a state of recovery, so that the holder of information retrieval is the only one who can access the contents of the encrypted volume.

Regarding the code confidential I want to tell you guys that, to obtain a higher degree of security in the TPM, you can set a PIN (PIN, Personal Identification Number) for BitLocker. This is a value created by the user and must be entered at each computer startup or after the resumption from hibernation mode. This code can include 4 to 20 digits and is stored internally as a hash of 256 bits Unicode characters entered. This value is never displayed to the user in any form or for any reason whatsoever. The PIN is another means of authentication, in conjunction with TPM authentication. So I think this information will going to help you in order to get rid from this issue.

First of all, thank you very much for your interest in my problem! The hard drive was encrypted using BitLocker in Windows 7-To-Go! I have the original password; I have no cons for the "key recovery". But when I access the hard drive, the software always asks me that famous "key recovery". I think the instructions are related to Windows Vista. Do you know of a solution that would allow me to find this key recovery? Thank you in advance

To avoid this issue you can go like this:
    To avoid perpetual recovery due to the loss of a key starter

1. Log on as administrator on the computer with the startup key is lost.

2. Turn off BitLocker and decrypt all readers:

• Click Start, click Control Panel.
    • In Control Panel, click Security, then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • If the dialog box User Account Control appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and click Continue st
    • In the BitLocker Control Panel, click Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • In the dialog BitLocker Drive Encryption, click Decrypt all readers.

3. Enable BitLocker and re-encrypts all readers:

• Click Start, click Control Panel.
    • In Control Panel, click Security, then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • If the dialog box User Account Control appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and click Continue st
    • In the BitLocker Control Panel, click Enable BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • In the dialog BitLocker Drive Encryption, create a new startup key and a new password recovery.

You can go for this I am sure that after trying this you will get fix for issue. I'll take a little script of your encryption to make sure I understand.

1. You have an external disk encrypted - say D-(USB / SATA) with Bitlocker to go, a version of Windows 7 RTM (evaluation version)

2. Windows 7 Enterprise has been installed on another disk (independent) - say C

3. You have a password (which does not?) You know.

4. You saved a key recovery on D. You have not saved on USB, you have not printed

5. You have reinstalled Windows XP on the C drive (your D drive is not recognized as encrypted and password works)

6. You have reinstalled Windows 7 Enterprise Feedback on the C drive

7. You turn on BitLocker on C (it is important to confirm what not)

8. You did a right click on D, and introduced click unlock the password.

9. And you're in a loop, your code where recovery is sought

I am having the same problem. Encrypted data on my external hard drive. Saved recovery key on laptop. Had a problem with laptop and had to reinstall OS. Now when I try to access my external Hard drive, instead of being asked for my password, I'm being asked for the recovery key which is now lost. Is there any way to regain access to the external hard drive? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 122703 View Post
    I am having the same problem. Encrypted data on my external hard drive. Saved recovery key on laptop. Had a problem with laptop and had to reinstall OS. Now when I try to access my external Hard drive, instead of being asked for my password, I'm being asked for the recovery key which is now lost. Is there any way to regain access to the external hard drive? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you
    You would want to Recover BitLocker-Protected Drives. A recovery method is used when a drive cannot be accessed by using the normal BitLocker unlock method. Unlock can fail on an operating system drive when a PIN is forgotten, a startup key is lost, or if the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) registers changes in the system components that it monitors before allowing the computer to start. For more information refer here.