Thread: Unable to delegate "Reset user passwords and force password change atnext logon"

Unable to delegate "Reset user passwords and force password change atnext logon"

I am using the Windows 2008 Server R2 based active directory domain and I have made a People OU that has 4 user accounts and a security group HELPDESK and there are also some of these accounts as members. The problem is with the delegation which doesnt work. When I test it by logging on with a user account in the helpdesk group and then attempt to reset the password of one of the user accounts in the People OU. What can i do to fix this issue?

Re: Unable to delegate "Reset user passwords and force password change at next logon"

You have to make sure that they are not members of account operators group, where the AdminSDHolder will reset the permissions hourly. Then you can use the Delegation of Control Wizard to delegate the Reset Password permission to the delegated user. Whereas, in order to change the "User must change password on next logon" flag, the delegated user must have write permission to the user containers. For more information visit this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296999

Re: Unable to delegate "Reset user passwords and force password change at next logon"

If you are facing problem where the users cannot join a computer to a domain then follow the below method:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type dsa.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the task pane, expand the domain node.
    3. Locate and right-click the OU that you want to modify, and then click Delegate Control.
    4. In the Delegation of Control Wizard, click Next.
    5. Click Add to add a specific user or a specific group to the Selected users and groups list, and then click Next.
    6. In the Tasks to Delegate page, click Create a custom task to delegate, and then click Next.
    7. Click Only the following objects in the folder, and then from the list, click to select the Computer objects check box. Then, select the check boxes below the list, Create selected objects in this folder and Delete selected objects in this folder.
    8. Click Next.
    9. In the Permissions list, click to select the following check boxes:
      • Reset Password
      • Read and write Account Restrictions
      • Validated write to DNS host name
      • Validated write to service principal name
      • Click Next, and then click Finish.
    10. Close the "Active Directory Users and Computers" MMC snap-in.

More information on this page - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932455

Re: Unable to delegate "Reset user passwords and force password change atnext logon"

In my case this error occurred after I first delegated the 'reset password' right to the 'help desk' group, then reset the permissions to schema default using the wrong switch /resetDefaultDACL for dsacls.exe command as suggested at page 76. After resetting the security permissions to schema default using 'dsacls "OU=..." /s /t' problem disappeared.