Thread: How to remove Recycler virus from Windows

How to remove Recycler virus from Windows

I need some help here to get rid of Recycler virus. I had not noticed but suddenly I can see some folders that I had not created. They are really suspicious. I had scanned my system with adware and spyware but they did not detected anything. So this look the virus can easily bypass the antivirus scanning. I had seen the same folder in my friend laptop who was using McAfee. At scan those all are detected as virus. I am using AVG.

Try some good antivirus. Either your antivirus is not updated or there is some issue with its virus definition due to which it is not locating the virus. If there is no major issue in your system like performance problem, or virus warning you can ignore the folder. Virus are common things that can enter your system through various way. The best way to deal with them is using a good antivirus solution. That is the reason I had purchased a license edition which is a bit more powerful compared to free edition.

If you think there is a virus and you can see the folder then just delete it. Select it and press Shift + Delete from your keyboard. This will permanently delete the virus file. Restart your system and see whether it is generated back again. If it is then then the virus is dangerous and you must clean your system in safe mode. Most of the time you will not be able to delete that properly. The virus modifies the file permission and you will get access denied error. You can use a unlocker tool for that.

I am using CCleaner. It shows me a series of recycler folder in Windows. I clean them all. But everytime on scan this folders are detected. I had used a number of anti-malware cleaner but that did not helped much. The reason is because this virus is in your system registry and it is triggered from there. You have to modify a registry file to fix the same. Just restart your system in safe mode and open Windows registry. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE and there look for NoDriveTypeAutoRun. Change the value to 03ffffff and reboot your system. I am sure this will help you.

If the recycler folder is in different partition other than C drive or Windows partition I will recommend you to backup your data first from there and format it completely. This will wipe out the virus folder from there. Full format is always the best option to completely remove virus files. If the virus spreads in the system then the only option remains is to re-install Windows XP.