Thread: Cannot access to shared folder from Vista

Cannot access to shared folder from Vista

I have a Windows Vista Laptop connected with Windows 2003 R2 server in my office. Server has a shared folder than is easily accessible from other computers running with Windows XP. But when I try to access the same folder on the same domain with Domain Admin Account, I get an error message saying "The parameter is not correct"..

I’ve tried everything I know about this but nothing helped. Do any one of you have any knowledge what is wrong here?

Re: Cannot access to shared folder from Vista

Am not sure whether this will fix the problem but it is a kind of troubleshooting that will bring up the solution. Just open command prompt on you Vista laptop and run it as Admin. Type the following command and press Enter:

net use X: \\servername\sharename /user:DOMAINorMACHINE\username/persistent:no

This command will help to map the network share. As soon as you will press Enter, you will be prompted for a password. Make sure to use a "DOMAINorMACHINE\username" that is able to authenticate on the remote server. See what happens. Let me know as well.

Hey Amitgujaran, thanks a lot for the help friend. I tried running that using the proper substitute in the command, but it ended up with “system error: 87. The parameter is not correct”

Also a new thing I came through is using the same laptop, I’m able to access other Win2003 servers, but not just this one. I guess there is something wrong in Windows Vista + Win2003 R2 servers.

Re: Cannot access to shared folder from Vista

I searched and searched, and finally found the answer to Vista not seeing XP shared folders and vice-versa, even XP to XP in some cases. It's on the XP machine, and it has to do with File Permissions. I know this sounds stupid, but I tried EVERY trick that was out there (changing Vista's Lan Manager back to v1, making the same user on each machine, etc.) but this worked b-e-a-utifully for me.

It's all about WHO owns (not just has the rights to) the folders/partition. I was silly and changed my user name months ago, which threw XP into a "hidden tizzy." when I added a new Vista machine to the works, the problem surfaced BIG TIME.

Solution: I created a new user w/admin priviledges. Then I rebooted and logged in as the new user (necessary to make registry changes, etc.). Then, I copied all of the old user's Desktop, Favorites, etc. into the new account's folders to ensure I lost as little as necessary, because I'm going to kill the old account.

Then, I went into the properties of EACH hard disc (from "My Computer") and under Sharing, I added the new user with full access permissions WITH subfolders, etc. selected. Then I went into the Security Tab, the Advanced... button and made the new user the OWNER of the disk, again WITH subfolders, etc. This can take some time... I did this, starting with my two data discs and finishing with the Windows System disc. It popped a few dialogue boxes asking if it was OK to assign the new user rights to the hidden Windows folders...I OK'd it on all ocaissions.

I rebooted and logged in (confirming that the new user had all the rights necessary), killed the old user account, rebooted, and VOILA! I could log into it from Vista and suddenly XP could log into Vista, from both Vista/XP sides using either UNC/IP addressing and administrative (C$) or named shared priviledges.

This is an OLD Macintosh (circa 1995) trap/trick that occurs when the owner's name is changed and pointers get smushed.