Thread: svchost.exe using up 99% CPU

svchost.exe using up 99% CPU

When ever I start my computer then the svchost.exe with username system will run continuously for 15 minutes and will also use 99% Cpu. I have just reinstalled Windows XP on this computer some months ago and this same problem was happening as well before the reinstallation of the operating system. I think that svchost.exe has been hit by a virus and right now I have not installed any antivirus on my pc. Can anyone suggest me some good antivirus software? Thanks

Re: svchost.exe using up 99% CPU

It seems to me like you definitely have a virus in your computer, so what you can do is grab a good antivirus software and scan your pc and remove it. I would recommend you to install the Bitdefender antivirus program. It has been rated Best Security Protection because it can stop much of the most harmful malware. No need to quote the entire list of viruses that can block as it is quite long. To achieve such a result, antivirus monitors all running processes and alerts you immediately for any suspicious applications.

Re: svchost.exe using up 99% CPU

The problem with viruses is that they come through disks, networks, bulletin boards, e-mails and the Internet. I have been using McAfee VirusScan and it has been serving me well. This software is very powerful because it scans all areas of your computer: CD-ROM, floppy disk, network, compressed files. It is able to recognize many viruses, check the downloaded files, e-mails, Internet, etc; as well.

This type of issue can occur because of a problem with the Automatic Updates service. So you need to check whether settings for the Automatic Updates service and for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) are correct by following the below steps:

1. Click Start, point to Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    2. In the details pane, locate and double-click Automatic Updates.
    3. Click the Log On tab.
    4. Make sure that the Local System account option is selected and that the Allow service to interact with desktop check box is cleared.
    5. Make sure that this service has been enabled in the Hardware Profile list. If this service has not been enabled, click Enable to enable the service.
    6. Click the General tab, and make sure that the Automatic option is selected in the Startup Type list. Under Service status, click Start to start the service if it is not already running.
    7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).

For more information go to this link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927385/en-us