Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Security
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Power management grayed out; power options in control panel won't

Windows Security

Old 04-02-2009

Power management grayed out; power options in control panel won't

I am running Windows XP SP2 on Dell laptop. It has just one user account, that is Admin account and I am the only user. Today morning I was trying to do some changes in Power Management settings but I wasn’t able to do so because it always gives me an error message saying I must go to power options icon in the control panel to make the changes. Well, but when I try clicking the Power Icon in Control Panel nothing happens.

Any idea what is wrong with this laptop?

Old 08-02-2009

Seems like probably you are missing complete Administrator privileges. Anyways, you can fix it by following steps:

Go to Start, click RUN, type CMD and Enter following command:

powercfg /RestoreDefaultPolicies

This will bring up the power management options on your screen. If still it wont come up than better just delete your existing user profile and create a new one.
Old 04-02-2011

Re: Power management grayed out; power options in control panel won't

Great!
I saw this and it worked for me also.
Thank you!

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Security
Tags: , , ,