Thread: Locked Files - Scans are finding locked files - Should I delete

Locked Files - Scans are finding locked files - Should I delete

This is Dell laptop running with Windows XP 32bit with AVG V8 Antivirus. Since last three days whenever am running the system scan it is showing me “locked files” in the logs those are as follow:

"C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Marc S\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Marc S\Local Settings\Temp\etilqs_ERZRWLPSIj6DCyEmW5kp";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Marc S\Local Settings\Temp\etilqs_ERZRWLPSIj6DCyEmW5kp-journal";"Locked file. Not
    tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Marc S\NTUSER.DAT";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application ata\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    "C:\hiberfil.sys";"Locked file. Not tested.";"Locked file. Not tested."
    I would like to know two things, first, is it safe to delete these files? Second, why are these files locked?

It is obvious for a system to lock files whose contents are being used. And the reason behind this would be the registry or hibernation because they might be using those files. So, to get the proper cause of the problem you should scan your system in safe mode because that is the place where very less files remains in use.

Re: Locked Files - Scans are finding locked files - Should I delete th

I don’t think it would be safe to delete those files because if those are important, it may harm your system. instead what you can do is remove and connect your hard drive with some another computer and scan the same. Am surely those files wont be in use there. This will help you analyze if those files are really safe to delete.

I have the same problem. how do i unlock them ?
    is that a good idea or are they viruses? i did an Avg scan and it said that i have files that contain macros, what is that and how do i fix it? i would apreciate the help as this is a new computer and realy dont want anything to go wrong with it (:

Well a macro can be a few different things. Best was to find out is to do a little research on them.
    On to the locked files a locked file in the OS system is a file that has to be opened in read-only format. Do not delete them they are needed to even start up your computer. If they are a virus your scanner will tell you then you need to look up the exact file name online to see how to get it off your computer without deleting the wrong file or doing it wrong all viruses are different so they need a different process to get them off the computer.
    True they all have the same running process but they attack files in different ways.