Thread: Cannot delete a file with a long name

Cannot delete a file with a long name

I am facing issue with getting rid of files which has very long file name. I am not able to delete them. Some of the files in the system are having more than 100 characters. They are web page with .htm extension. I am not sure about renaming it nor I can get a proper option to get rid of it. Also I a am not able to move it to some other place. I tried to do that with some basic command in DOS but that too is not working. Do you have any working option that can help me to do this. Thanks.

I will advice you to move the file to a different drive where you are having maximum access. It looks the location where the file is available does not provide you full permission. You can try using robocopy to move the file permanently. It would be best if you move that to the external drive and then format the drive completely.

Yes it looks issue with file permission. You must ensure that you have maximum rights to do that stuff. Or else this is not going to work fine. I had seen that the maximum character that is allowed to a file is 255. It looks the file which you are trying to delete lies somewhere in deeper side of your system. It will be better if you can move them properly to some other appropriate location and then try back working on the same in better way.

I faced the same problem, I studied it for a long time and how to use all these commands, and then I simply bought File / Folder Clean-Up Tool(Long Path) and cleaned all unnecessary files. No need to buy a commercial product - setting up a network share or a substituted drive that points into the middle of the excessively long path will give you full access to the otherwise inaccessible files.