Thread: Winmgmt.exe eating 100% cpu at the time of boot

Winmgmt.exe eating 100% cpu at the time of boot

Whenenver I start my system it is freezing a lot. I checked inside Task Manager and found that winmgmt.exe is eating 100% cpu. I am not able to do anything. I have to install office but when I double click the system freezes. There is nothing I can do. The same thing happen upon reboot. How can I get rid of this issue. What does winmgmt do. I think I had done some steps do disable that, but still keeps appearing on the screen.

Did you checked the error log properly. You might get right errors information in that. I will advice you to check in error log what all details are mentioned and then provide the same error. Or else this kind of issue will not be solved. The cpu usage is quiet high. There can be some kind of virus in your system. Scan your system for virus and then see whether it is resolved or not.

re: Winmgmt.exe eating 100% cpu at the time of boot

I third this. I've been having this problem for at least a few weeks. At first I thought it was triggered by my screen saver somehow (win starfield). For a while, I thought I could avoid the problem by running winmgmt.msc and opening "Properties", which seemed to "preoccupy" winmgmt.exe. Now, the problem starts almost immediately after login, which means I have no way to stop it (winmgmt.msc can't connect to the service). I can't kill it, and it won't respond to my stopping the service. It seems to be running in tandem with CSRSS.EXE in hogging up my CPU. If anybody has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them!

re: Winmgmt.exe eating 100% cpu at the time of boot

I found a really helpful link here that can provide you options for fixing the issue. It is possible to disable that. It is not actually a virus problem. If you are not able to make any changes in normal mode, then simply boot in safe mode and check back. You will be able to get proper fix for it.

Winmgmt.exe uses more CPU resources than you expect