Thread: Error: Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

Error: Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

I am using Acronis Disk Director to resize and modify my partitions. As it is quiet easier to use compared to the internal utility. It was working fine a couple of months ago when I modified the partition last time. But something happened after that. It is not working well. When I try to extend the logical partition, nothing happened in it. I try to change the size of primary and logical both partitions. I am having only two partition in my system. The first is C and the other one is D. I tried to run chkdsk to locate the error but nothing was located.

Re: Error: Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

It can be due to some issue with the partitions. The cause of error is corrupt ntfs file structure. It can happen to anyone. And chkdsk cannot fix that. To make it work you need to use windows bootable disc to format the same properly. Try to run chkdsk using /f and /r. It might fix the problem. The last option that remains it to reformat the entire partition back again.

Have you tried to re-run the chkdsk using different options like /f and /r? If still it doesnt work for you then you can try to reformat the drive and install a fresh file system. But all the data will be deleted so first try to restore the lost data from backup and then try to reformat. If backup process is not working then you can also use different Data Recovery software available on the internet.

The error that you are getting looks to me like the core metadata of the file system in the hard drive partition might be corrupted. So, you can try to first recover the important data from it and then try to run chkdsk command by following the method given on this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/176646. You can also use Data Recovery software such as Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery to backup your data.