Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Window 2000 Help
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now

Window 2000 Help

Old 05-06-2007

The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now

I am getting this error when I try to eject usb drive from my server. I use it for data backup. I copied some file and then in My Computer when I try to eject it, the usb stucked on the error. It is not coming out. I closed all the files and applications. I can only remove by log off. Does there is some application in the service that engages the external storages. I can stop that to fix the problem. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2007

Re: The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now

I am not sure about Windows, but if I face this error on my linux system then I just try to unmount it and it works. There are some applications or services which are running when you plug the usb. That is the reason you cannot plug the device out from your system. You can try the ejct command also. This works most of the time for me. There is a small utility called as RemoveDrive. You can download and test that.
Old 21-02-2011

Re: The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now

After much research...
Unlocker FINALLY worked for me. (XP box, Seagate EHD)
Ironically, my WD EHDs rarely have the problem...
Attached Files
File Type: rar unlocker1.9.0.rar (949.9 KB, 1342 views)

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Window 2000 Help
Tags: , ,