Thread: How to run chkdsk c: /f at a Windows startup?

How to run chkdsk c: /f at a Windows startup?

I want to enable CHKDSK on start everytime when Windows 2000 server starts up. There are 4 more workstations on the network. I want to assign chkdsk everytime on the boot. I am not able to get the right command for that. I tried using c: /f. But it doe snot looks to be a complete command. Is there any other utility that can do the same job. I need some kind of software which is capable of checking my hardware properly at the boot so that there would not be any bad sector problem.

Re: How to run chkdsk c: /f at a Windows startup?

Try using Chkdsk /r. This will launch chkdsk recovery console. The utility helps you to locate bad sectors on the hard drive. So somehow it is not recommended if you want to test system files of your system. You can use Windows 2000 installation disc to launch recovery console. Enter recovery console and then run the chkdsk. It is recommend to use only when there are some kind of serious bug with the system. Or else you can leave the system as it is.

Try that through Recovery Console. I think that might work. For that you need to use Windows 2000 setup disk. And I think it will work only once on the startup. There is no other way by which you can make it default scan your system on every boot. There are some third party tools that can do this job. Instead of chkdsk you can initiate a schedule scan process and get expected results from the same.

I can provide you information on some set of software's that you can try for your system scanning purpose. One of them in is Ariolic Disk Scanner. I am using this on XP and quiet happy with the same. I found the tool a much better alternative compared to chkdsk. I think you must test the same.

Dave Patrick Guest
    Yes there are some nice tools that you can go for. Chkdsk provides you bad sector scanning. So that you can keep a eye on the hard drive and take necessary steps when the number of error increases. Tools like HDDScan, SeaTools, etc are some of the best that you can go for. They are capable of giving you maximum information the drive status.