Thread: Upgrading from windows 2003 to windows 2008.

Upgrading from windows 2003 to windows 2008.

I am having Windows 2003 server on my network. It is working fine and there is no problem with authentication or any other work. I want to upgrade my server edition to 2008 and I hope that it will be better. Because the new server has much new stuff that I am wiling to test. Now I am having 2 domains on the forest with number of different website. Also each site is having various domain controller also. I am planing for the upgrade. I want to know how should I start. It is better if I can find a settings that will help me for better migration.

Re: Upgrading from windows 2003 to windows 2008.

You can start with schema update with schema master. You will need admina ccount for that. The command which is used for this is schupgr. There are additional functionality provided in 2008 server. But I think applying them on existing account might be a bit complicated. Instead of going for direct upgrade you must start with installation of additional domain controller. And to avoid errors in future it is best recommended to install a fresh setup. There can be a worth migration guide on web that can help you to get all the settings exactly you have.

Just go on web. There are tons of resources available for that. It is good to have a migration assistant in Windows Server. This helps you to collect all working settings properly. Check the below link. You can find number of different settings that can help you to go for proper upgrades. I hope you are going to work proper backup so that after upgrades everything is setup properly.

How to upgrade Windows Server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2008 on a computer that includes a Baseboard Management Controller and a root-enumerated IPMI device

The schema update requires schema master. For that you have to locate adprep32.exe. This will work for the 32bit edition of server and for the 64bit you will need to find adprep.exe. It is better if you go with some guide. You can make a checklist how to begin the upgrades. One by one when the changes are done you would be able to get all your settings back as it was before.

I was able to get Windows 2008 Server R2 upgraded on my system. Now I am in a process of decommissioning the older server. I had reformatted and performed all the setup. There are some question in my mind before going for the further process. The question is, should I move the RID and PDC fsmo roles to the new server. Maximum workstations that are on the server are working on Windows XP. So I hope the server will be able to read the same. I had installed the new server in a test machine so that I can reallocate all stuff back in case of error. There is a full backup configured. I need all this settings exactly on the new server.

To decommission you have move all the fsmo roles to another dns server. This is applicable. So better start with basic works. Also when you are done with transferring the fsmo roles you will need to reconfigured the new dns with dhcp. Later on you can go with reconfiguration of all cient and server which does not point to the old domain controller. You have to verify each and everything properly so that there is no error at all. The connectivity and logon stuff. Later on run dcpromo on the old dc and check that everything is proper.

DNS - so, if i install the DNS server on my new forest controller and then DC promo my old forest controller off - that automatically makes the new server the master....i say master as i believe there must be one master dns server or am i wrong...

I will advice you to start with basic guide. do not jump on advance settings. It will be complicated for you to deal with the issue occurred. And once you are done with the configuration there is no way to move back. There are nice documentation provided by Microsoft itself which easier for you to start working.