Thread: How to remove a running process that gives you "access denied" when you try to kill it

How to remove a running process that gives you "access denied" when you try to kill it

I need some help by which I can get rid of those process which do not allow me to kill them. For example GoogleUpdate.exe. I am using Windows 2000. When I try to kill the process I am getting a error message that the operation cannot be completed. I am logged in as Admin. So I have all privileges to make changes in my system. Still the process blocks permission to kill. I need some help to fix the issue. Thanks.

Re: How to remove a running process that gives you "access denied" when you try to kill it

No your account does not has proper rights. This is due to low admin rights. I think there is a virus in your system. You must can it in safe mode and then check back.

File and Folder Permissions

I faced this issue some time ago on my server. As I was the only admin, I was not allowed to terminate certain process which uses high system resources. I had not installed any new stuff in the system. You are right about the virus thing. There are number of infections which are capable of modifying the file permission and does not allow the actual admin to change anything. Unfortunately 2000 has no option available that can help you to restore the file permission back. It is better to reconfigure all stuff from scratch.

Check that some security program in your system is not causing this issue. I am sure some kind of antivirus in your system is creating the problem. Disable that and then try to reconfigure all stuff back again.