Thread: Lost Password Windows 2000 Professional

Lost Password Windows 2000 Professional

I am having Compaq Armada 1590DMT laptop. Now the laptop has a password in it. It was used by my uncle who no longer wants it. He has not used this system for over a year. I need some help to get this system unlocked. IT is having Windows 2000 in it. I tried some password breaking software but they are quiet useless. Some of them are asking for bootable disc. If I can get access to the system I would go to upgrade and add a newer OS. Mostly XP. This would help me to use this system in better way. I do not know much about Windows 2000. Can anyone guide me to get it unlocked. Thanks.

Go with the bootable CD solution. This really works. I had faced the same issue when I forgot my login password. I downloaded the one from web and it allowed me to reset the admin account. It is much simple to use also and in future you can try it on other computers also. And if you want to install Windows XP you can directly format the system. It will wipe out everything.

Re: Lost Password Windows 2000 Professional

Using a bootable disc to reset admin password might be complicated for you. I think there is one thing you can try. But for that you will need to arrange Windows 2000 bootable disc and enter the dos mode. There are some commands that you can try out to wipe out the admin password. I had used this on Windows XP and it worked. Just enter the dos mode and type net user hit enter. It will list you all the internal user account. Then type net user (nameofaccount) * and hit enter. Press enter a number of time and then restart your system.

Other than working with bootable cd if you do not get any result then there is one more thing that you can try. You can use the below link to get a proper password restoration. If you do not need any internal content then better format is completely. That is the best way to get into your system. While the below link offer you some troubleshooting steps to deal with the issue you are facing.

There are number of different live cd that you can try. I had tried a bootable linux disc before. It allows you to access the internal data and then you can format the system as per your choice. Without login, you cannot make changes to any internal system account. While bootable disc provides you multiple support. You can not only boot your system but also copy the data and moved it to desired location.

Go on Google and search for password recovery software. There are number of free tools that can do this job. It is not at all complicated to use them. All you need is a working system. Some of them offer you a password reset floppy disc. You can boot your system with that and modify the internal password easily. Those are complicated procedure. The straightway is to direct format the partition and install Windows XP. The only negative impact is that you will loss all the internal data of your system.

Are you going to buy XP. The laptop model that you had mentioned is very old. I am doubtful about XP performance on that. I think you must go for new Windows 2000 only. It is enough for your basic usage. Ask your uncle about 2000 CD. Because the OS might be the licensed copy which you had received and it will save your money instead of buying a new one.

I will also recommend you to with a new copy of Windows 2000. Because this will be better and you might not face any issue with output. There can be driver failure or other problem also. If you had able to unlock the system then it will beneficial for you because you can drop the idea of formatting your system. You can use the existing OS you have. Try to ask your uncle about the password. I had seen some videos online that provides tutorial for using unlock software. I think you must check some of them.

Can you access the admin login screen. I am not sure about the key settings, but there is a admin account which comes without a password. You can try that if it is not modified. Also if you are able to get Windows 2000 disc then you can simply run the repair setup and the existing password will be wiped out. If you know how to open the laptop then you can try another process. Here you will need to remove the bios battery and then put it back. It will drop the password and you will be able to access the system. I will not recommend you to open that if you are not aware and you are not having the right utilities.

At the login screen press Ctrl + Alt + Del. It will give you the default login screen of Windows. You can try typing Administrator in the username box and leave the password empty. Hit enter. If your admin account is not modified then this one of the best way to access the system. You can then modify any other password you have. There are some free password reset software that even I trust. They are simply very convenient to use.

I am also trying the same thing. I got my system locked. There was a user who was using this before who left the company. Now the system is locked. I tried a number of recovery tools which are really not very helpful. I am planing to completely reformat the system and start with scratch configuration. That would be one of the best option I think to deal with the problem.