Thread: Western Digital My Cloud EX4 external storage NAS box launched

Western Digital My Cloud EX4 external storage NAS box launched

Western Digital announced yesterday the launch of My Cloud EX4, a four-bay NAS for both SMEs and individuals.

WD finally launches in the conventional NAS market. The new My Cloud EX4 models heavyweight segments such as Synology and Qnap: contrary to My Cloud launched in October, it is not only a single drive without redundancy and limited functions.

With four bays and support for RAID 1, 5 or 10, it has to start with a redundancy that protects the user in case of hard drive failure. Against theft or natural disasters, the NAS can save automatically to another NAS and storage services online such as Amazon S3 or ElephantDrive, unlike its predecessor.

However, we find a simple interface, detailed at the announcement of My Cloud, which allows to easily set up a backup of your computer (via WD SmartWare Pro or Apple Time Machine), multimedia sharing (via DLNA or iTunes) or sharing personal data (from the local network or the Internet).

But in addition to these basic functions, we find this model with additional features that are lacking in My Cloud, compared to conventional NAS even a single bay, especially a solution standalone for download on BitTorrent. Extensions are also offered to host a website or a radio, for example.

Western Digital My Cloud EX4 External Storage

In terms of connectivity, finally, it has two USB 3.0 ports, two Gigabit Ethernet ports and even two redundant power supplies, in the form of external transformers, which is very rare in this segment.

The WD My Cloud EX4 is available now at a retail price of 340 euros, EUR 800 with 8TB (4 x 2TB), 900 euros with 12 TB (4 x 3 TB) or 1100 euros with 16 TB (4 x 4 TB).

Re: Western Digital My Cloud EX4 external storage NAS box launched

WD My Cloud EX4 is based on a technology called "Easy-Slide Drive" that allows installation or adding of a hard disk, all without requiring a screwdriver or other tool. Moreover, it is possible to expand the storage capacity by connecting USB 3.0 compatible hard drives on the chassis of My Cloud EX4. WD also offers an application for Android and iOS devices to access the contents of My Cloud EX4 from a smartphone or tablet.