Thread: Future Smartphone’s/tablet’s will feature built-in airbags to prevent damage when they fall

Future Smartphone’s/tablet’s will feature built-in airbags to prevent damage when they fall

We can now expect Future Smartphone’s to come up with built-in airbags to prevent damage when they fall. Recently Amazon has come up with an idea for adding airbags with motion-sensing technology which will help the device to detect fall and deploy airbag before it hits the floor. Amazon has already patented the system for mobiles phones, Kindles, tablets and cameras.

The patent has been approved and it say’s “Prior to impact between a surface and a device, a determination of a risk of damage to the device is made. If the risk of damage to the device exceeds a threshold, a protection system is activated to reduce or eliminate damage to the device.” According to the patent, the new technology in devices will gather data from built-in gyroscope, camera, accel, and other on-board sensors to detect whether its in “airborne state” or not and react accordingly. Huge numbers of Smartphone’s, tablets, camera etc are damaged because of fall each year and a whole lot of money is spent on the same. So if this built-in airbag technology stands true then many people will save a lot of money on repairing/replacing their devices. However In this slim Smartphone trend, Smartphone’s with built-in airbags might be a bit bulky to hide the airbag but it will surely put an end to “cumbersome cases”. According to sources the phone system will be using the same technique that is used in car for deploying traditional airbags upon impact to protect passengers. However, the phone will have to detect the “airborne state” before any impact and deploy its airbag before it comes in contact with the floor. For now we will just have to wait and watch, since there is no information regarding the success and availability of this protective system and we cannot expect it sooner as well.

Re: Future Smartphone’s/tablet’s will feature built-in airbags to prevent damage when they fall

Yes integration of airbags will surely make our Smartphone’s bulky and so as their prices, if I am not wrong . Nowadays people are falling for slim and big screen Smartphone’s and tablets, I don’t think people will compromise the slimness for the airbag. Instead I will get a good hard cover for my devices. I know even the hard cover will make devices bulky but at least that would be temporary. There are some many soft and hard cases in the market now and most of the people with expensive Smartphone’s and tablets use it. However, I do appreciate built-in airbags technology and will like to see an experimental video soon.