Thread: Metro Preview version of Firefox available for download

Metro Preview version of Firefox available for download

Mozilla has revealed their Metro Preview version of Firefox just few weeks before launch of Windows 8. Firefox Metro Preview installer is now available and one can get it from here.

Installation steps:
    • Download and run Metro Preview version of Firefox in Windows 8
    • Close Firefox in Metro and Desktop and set Internet Explorer as the default browser from Control Panel.
    • Now run Firefox Nightly EXE in Desktop mode , set it as default when prompted and go in to Options > Advanced > General and set Firefox as default browser there as well.

What’s new?

Metro Preview version of Firefox has several standard Firefox features including Metro optimizations. It has option for always showing tabs and one can pin tabs as tiles on their Start screen. It provides horizontal tile view for presenting Bookmarks, History, and Downloads.

Metro Preview version of Firefox is still under experimental branch of the Firefox Nightly builds called Elm so one might come across some issue while using it. Currently it is quite buggy for day to day use because of below things:
    • Firefox Sync isn’t working well in Metro preview
    • Touch screen support is uneven
    • Some sites load slowly

One can surely check it out for testing purpose but not for daily use until above things gets fixed.

Re: Metro Preview version of Firefox available for download

Yes it is very buggy for now, i have been using windows 8 developer preview form 3 months and was thinking of checking out Metro Preview version of Firefox. Later i came to know it is quite broken by some of my friends who have just checked it out. Personally i wont use it for testing purpose as well, i mean what's the point in testing a buggy thing??? I hope they fix all these mess before windows 8 rolls out so that i can give it a try.