| || |
Join Date: Aug 2005
Ubuntu 11.04 beta "Natty Narwhal" Download Available
The first beta of "Ubuntu 11.04" was published this morning, putting an end to the alpha phase. Responding to the codename "The Natty Narwhal" (narwhal chic), this new version (not receiving a long-term support) is the emphasis on improving its appearance as its name suggests.
"Ubuntu 11.04" operates as the interface to Unity, to the detriment of the standard interface for Gnome, although it rests on this desktop environment. This interface provides a home bar to launch applications, an app menu, but also and especially a Global Menu, which hosts the menu bar of the active application, and Mac OS.
This beta is also preparing the introduction of new applications:
- The new Ubuntu Software Centre introduced a recommendation system similar to the Android Market
- The music player Banshee replace Rhythmbox
- The OpenOffice.org office suite replaces LibreOffice
- Firefox 4.0 becomes the default browser
- Distribution based on Linux kernel 2.6.38, including improving the management of multiple graphics chips
"Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 1" is now available from a dedicated section of the website
of the distribution.